Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,
I was wanting to know whether all M38's made by Husqvarna in 1941-1944 have a threaded barrel and also do these come with different types of wood stocks, ie such as elm or walnut or are these only beech stocked. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,204 Posts
Welcome to the forum . Husqvarna M-38's originally had non-threaded barrels & only beech stocks . Threaded barrels are a post 1955 modification for the blank firing device . Replacement stocks would be beech as well .

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
At a gunshow today, one dealer had two M38s. One had a beech stock, non-threaded barrel, and mostly correct parts except the one part of the bolt that was electopenciled. The other had a walnut looking stock (like new), threaded barrel with a green plastic protector, same type of electropenciling, nail holes in the stock where the range plate would be, and a rear sight with no serial numbers, and the rest looked ok. Both were 1942 Huskies. I bought the one with the non-threaded barrel but am debating about buying the other one. Both in a good price range.

·
9,204 Posts
Many M-38 beech stocks are often mistaken for walnut . Could be a take off from a CG or Mauser M-38 ? My guess without seeing it would be beech . Electro penciling of the cocking piece & bolt sleeve are common . The safety was originally stamped matching to the bolt .

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
I guess I had a misconception about a threaded barrel being incorrect for a Huskie. It sounded like the threading was done in the 50s after the rifles were built. I had always assumed a threaded barrel would only be on a 96/38 and not on a M38.

Would a M38 have a rear sight that is marked with the serial number of the rifle? The one on the other rifle has no serial number. What kind of serial number markings would you expect on a Huskie M38? Buttplate - yes, bands - no, bolt - yes, rear sight - no?, bolt release - no?, floor plate - no? Just wondering. I assume this is one of those 'it depends' answers. Thanks for the information.

·
9,204 Posts
Well , the CG & Mauser M-38's would not originally have threaded barrels . Only post 1955 .

Yes , I cannot give you a definative answer to your question on HVA part numbers , as there are exceptions to the rule of thumb . Generally speaking , the original HVA M-38's had the receiver , bolt ball , safety & buttplate number matched , as well as the stock & handguard . However , there are correct examples that are stamped all matching like a M-96 rifle . I believe they are legit . It is unknown how many were numbered like this , but not common . There are also HVA M-38's with more than the original parts numbered , but less than a M-96 . I have one with the floorplate & triggerguard numbered in addition to the original numbers . Others have numbered sights . No real pattern that we can see . It seems that the bolt sleeve & cocking piece had electro penciled numbers added at later arsenal inspections . As other bolt parts were replaced , any of them may be electro penciled to match .

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Well, I went back today and bought the other M38. The first one I got for $300 and the second for $340. The guy was selling them for an estate and the guy said the original owner was very picky about finish and quality of the rifle. They are both the best M38s I have see at gunshows and about $100 - $150 cheaper than ones I normally see. Now I do not think the second one is walnut but I think is a darker beech than the first one. I will try to post pictures later.

I think I would be kicking myself if I did not buy them since I watch gunbroker a lot and don't see many in the same shape and price as these. I really like the M38s. Lots of people selling, hardly anyone buying. I can't believe no one bought those M38s ahead of me.

·
9,204 Posts
One of our members bought a real nice M-38 off Gunbroker for $638 a while back . I think you did OK on the price .

The economy has hurt sales of firearms and keeps new items off the market while waiting for better times & higher prices . I don't expect this to change anytime soon !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts