Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a small box of military relics from a deceased veteran's estate sale. One of the items is a short British scabbard in a German frog. The scabbard is 11" long, the German frog is a little different having an RBN number on the inside of the strap instead of on the back of the frog. What type of British bayonet fits in this scabbard? Maybe some German used it as a fighting knife or a Commonwealth solider need a new frog, if only I had met the vet before his passing. Thanks, Chuck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would suggest the scabbard is a non-official "conversion". The component parts of the scabbard are Pattern 1907 pieces.
A standard P1907 has a 17 inch blade and a 17.5 inch scabbard. The official shorter version are
1) Indian modified or new manufacture P1907 with a 12 inch blade and 13 inch scabbard.
2) Australian modified P1907 for the shortened and lightened rifle with an 10 inch blade and an 11.5 inch scabbard
3) Australian modified P1907 for the Owen gun with a 8 or 10 inch blade and an 11.5 inch scabbard.
The Australian modified P1907's all used WW2 manufactured lockets with the round stud, not the tear drop stud of WW1 vintage. Examples I have seen also used the brown leather body manufactured in Australia in WW2.

·
8,103 Posts
It may very well be that the veteran put two separate items together himself at any time during the last 60 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts