Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this rifle some years ago from an elderly man who said he got it through the CMP in 1954. When I bought it, it was dismantled and still wrapped in brown paper and coated with cosmoline or a grease of some type. Unfortunately I have no way of making and posting photos, and I know this is a big turn-off, but I'm not looking for detailed answers, simply broad suggestions.

The piece is a mixmaster, and, unfortunately, before I was up to speed on collecting milsurps I sanded and oiled the scant style stock which was pretty well beat up with dents and dings. Basically here is what I have:

Receiver is a Rock Island, #421XXX, barrel is a Springfield dated 6-28--very good bore. I assume the bolt and stock are also Springfield, but unsure of this. The 2 or 3 cartouches on the stock are not clear enough to read. It's highly accurate, MOA capable, I'm sure. (Three years military rifle team, trained at PI on a M-1 Garand with repeated annual range time while in the Navy years ago, so I understand military marksmanship and bore capability).

I've been told that the RI receiver was made in 1919 and that Springfield finished out the piece in 1929 and issued it to the 4th Marines in San Diego, the "China Marines". When it came off active duty I have no idea, just as I don't know for sure that what I was told is accurate, but I think it's probably right.

Broad question is simply this: Do I have anything of unusual value to a milsurp collector, or is it-as I suspect-just a regular '03 of limited value given the "Bubba Job" on the stock? Roughly how would I determine value without posting photos?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
late RIAs were asembled by Springfield in the late 20,s so...
yes, the barrel is likey original to the rifle, stock should be a grasping groove stock with S on the nose cap,
saying it was issued to the Marines? is a stretch at best...i would have to see good pictures to say USMC or not..
sounds like a rebuild, that was sold through the CMP or DCM...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts