Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been bit with the bug of wanting an M95, I'd like a long rifle but obviously carbines are way more common and my local pawn shop has two of em, unfortunately both have had the stocks cut down, luckily the barrels are intact and otherwise the guns are all factory. They only want like 120$ for each one, and I'd love to pick one up except that I can't find a carbine stock. I've been diving through numrich, liberty tree, apex, all sorts of surplus websites and can't turn up one listing in stock, same goes for ebay and gunjoker, and the out of stock listings show them as being more expensive than the long rifle stocks. Now, here's the question that will probably get me flamed: is it total sacrilege to buy a long rifle stock and cut it down to bring a carbine back to life? It seems there are tons of long rifle stocks out there and they aren't highly valued but I'm also not super well versed in these rifles so your guidance is appreciated. That is after all how they were made in the first place, they should be compatible right? I also see this website here Your Milsurp Source: M95 Mannlicher listing m95 carbines for unusually low prices, just wondering if anyone has ever had any dealings with them? I'm wary of giving out personal + financial info to a site that seems significantly outdated and low traffic especially on something like this that seems too good to be true. Anyway thanks for reading guys.

·
Administrator
12,271 Posts
That site doesn't seem to have been updated in years.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You can cut down a rifle stock . Many carbines are cut down rifles t o begin with.The rear sight will answer that queston,long is rifle,short is a real carbine,This means a lot ,when it comes down to a hand guard.Bands will work on either one ,though there are differences,small ones tp be sure.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have picked up several short stocks on ebay. Just be patient and check often.

There is a lot of wood removal in shortening a long rifle stock and relocating the bands. I would shoot the gun as is until you find a stock.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice all. I'll just keep an eye out for a complete one or wait till I find a carbine stock. I would like to restore one of those old soldiers, but i guess it just comes down to if i find a carbine stock before I find a complete rifle. I've seen two carbines for sale locally both sell for 300 but they both sold in like 2 hours before I ever had a chance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've still been able to find deals here and there but they go very fast now and values seem to be all over the place. It kills me what people are paying for 91/30s these days. I swiped a 1968 M39 for 500 bucks right before 2020 kicked off, now Russian wartime guns are going for upwards of 400$ in some cases, it boggles the mind. On the other hand there's a local gun shops still selling mint Tokarevs for the 250-300 range including a ceremonial Yugo which I think is under current market and definitely will be in 10 years.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Sarco had M95 Long rifle stocks for $25 not too long ago. I picked one up and it was a refurbed unit. alittle warped but in decent shape. Still haven't found an action for it yet..or a long rifle barrel.
Numrich sells them for $25 as well. But they take a lot of work to turn them into correct carbine / stutzen stocks.

I am using one for an m.90 carbine that had been sporterized. It is a LOT of work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.