Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first pic is a before shot, second is after I cleaned it up. My question is about the obvious holes in the receiver. Was this an attemp to mount a scope on this rifle? Was it Bubba or and actual sniper rifle. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hillger

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is tho only pic of the whole gun right now. All matching, except for front stock band, bent bolt handle. Also, missing stock disk.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hi Hillger,
Well I am not an expert but IMHO it looks like an early M41 sniper. The thing I find strange is that it was made by Husqvarna. From what I hear they are somewhat a rarity. I am sure Swede or Dutchman will by "chiming in " here shortly.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,201 Posts
Good question : First , it appears to have had an early sniper base for one of the AGA scopes & the base was attached for some time from the marking on the receiver . The HVA M-96's went to civilian shooters . I have heard there were HVA snipers , but none have shown up to date . Also , a HVA M-96 should have a 600,000 serial number . Looks like a 5 digit number , unless one number is drilled out . That leaves us with the possibility of a replacement receiver . That would explain a 5 digit serial number & a HVA receiver . To bad the bolt does not match . It should be white for an AGA scope & torch bent down . My guess it was legit at one time .

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
That's really neat to see an HVA sniper. Always heard about them, but like Swede said, I've never seen one.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be able to take some more pics this evening when the wife gets back with my camera. Swede, the bolt is in the white and it is bent. I might have been misunderstood above, but the bolt is a matching bolt. (has last 3 of serial number stamped on it.)

I know this may be hard, but what do you think its worth?

·
9,201 Posts
I hope you did not pay a lot for your ex-sniper . These rifles were surplused by the swedes after the M-41 Ajack snipers were upgraded in 1955 to the M-41b . My guess yours was stripped because the bore was worn ? As a well used ex-sniper , I would put the value at best , $500 , maybe less . There is one on GunBroker that has not sold in 6 months . The scope , mount & base will cost you $1200 or more if you can find one . A complete M-41 sniper may sell in the $1500/$1800 range . Selling it depends on a buyer that just has to have it .

Here is the M-41b ex-sniper on GunBroker for $650 , buy it now :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174061674

Note he has the M-41b base attached , which would sell for $150 or more at auction . Also , it has the M-55 rear sight , worth $100 . So , that makes the selling price $400 . There are no takers right now .

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no expert on bore condition, but from what I can tell with no borescope, its at about 94% to 99% good. Nice lands and grooves, very slight, I mean the slightest, of pitting. Getting some bullets to test how well it shoots today.

Whats with the serial number stamped so sloppy? Is that common on HVA's?

·
9,201 Posts
Replacement receivers were mostly hand stamped . Look for the full serial number on the barrel . Is it the same as the receiver or is it 6 digits ? Also , see if there is a crown/S on the wrist of the stock & barrel near the serial number . Stockholm Army work shop did most of the sniper work , but rebuilds may have been done at any army work shop .

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check it tonight when I get home and take some pics. Also the one on gun broker was imported by SAMCO. This one has NO import mark on it anywhere. What does that mean?

·
9,201 Posts
Assuming the barrel is correct & matching , your rifle would be a pre-1968 import when import markings were not required .

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OK, heres what you have been waiting for. I'm confused on the serial numbers. Can hardly tell what the ser # is on the receiver. Looks like 52801 with an upside down 1. But on the inside of wood its clearly stamped 21801. The rest of the gun has all 801 stamped on every part. (except the front band) What do you make of this?

BTW, Swede and Dutchman, thanks for everything so far!!

Thanks,
Hillger

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More Pics...

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A few more...

Attachments

·
9,201 Posts
Well , it is anyones guess as to what happened to your rifle ??????????? Everything looks correct except the numbers stamped on the receiver . If you were going to fake a sniper , you would at least match the serial numbers on the receiver !!!!!!! I don't think anybody can explain it . It has a late barrel replacement with only a 3 digit serial number . The bolt looks like a correct torch bent bolt . I do not believe the Swede arsenal would put a mismatched receiver on a sniper . The receiver number has been messed with . WHY !!!!!!!! Bubba does some strange things . I doubt we will ever know what happened to your rifle . You will just have to live with what you have in your hands . Without import markings , the rifle has been in the USA over 40 years . Plenty of time for unexplained things to happen . I wish I could be of more help to you .

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate Bubba.........

What I dont understand is this: I acquired this rifle from a friend who bought it a loooooong time ago straight from the importer back when you could get these in quantity for about $30-$50 each. In the early 70's maybe? If this type of sniper was replaced with the M-41b in 1955, it would mean that it was imported over here between then and 1968. (there is no import stamp on it) It has been sitting in its box since then. So I'm thinking it came here like this.

Whatever the reason, I still love it. Shoots great.

·
9,201 Posts
There are Swedish Bubbas , as well as in the USA . The Importers are not above messing with rifles , just as we have seen happen at SAMCO Global . SARCO made up a bunch of M-41 snipers from parts in the mid-'80's . Nothing can change what has happened . Enjoy what you have !

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Swede, I can not thank you enough for your input. Thanks for everything. This is such a powerhouse of information I dont know what we would do without it. Have a great day!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.