Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to build a reproduction of the "Oswald" Carcano ever since I watched the documentary from American Experience on PBS a few weeks ago about the assassination.

Looks like finding the rifle is the easiest part...

Can anyone help me identify what type of scope mount this rifle had?

I'm also looking for the Ordnance Optics scope...or something close to it.

If you have one of these parts for sale...let me know...

If you have a source for these parts...let me know....

Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
carcano

The mount was a weaver steel stamping.the scope I believe was a weaver for 22 rifle.I had one back then.I sold mine to a professer at Dean college who gives talks on the shooting.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
:eek:It was a cheap Japanese scope. Should be an easy Google for details. occasionally a setup CLAIMING to be duplicate comes up for sale on various sites. I have an A block, but IIRC Oswald's was a C block.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you tell me the difference between an A block and C block..

Never heard of that...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Can you tell me the difference between an A block and C block..

Never heard of that...
Serial number...A block has an "A" prefix, C block a "C" prefix.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Serial number...A block has an "A" prefix, C block a "C" prefix.
Ohh! Serial number C2766.. Got it... Thanks!

I guess I'll just be looking for a 4x scope that has the general external appearance of the one I see in the photos.. Looks to me like that is as close an anyone can generally come to replicating the scope as that company is not in business anymore I guess..

Not much to go on for the mount however.......Looks like it will require the left side of the receiver to be drilled and tapped so I will be looking for a mount that matches the curvature of the receiver side??!?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I snooped around on other sites and read that the Savage 325/340 1" mount works very well.

Here it is:http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=540380&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Anyone use this one before??

Looks like it is open on the side and not closed with an "X" pattern in the metal like the Ordinance Optics one Kleins installed.

The person that was professing the virtues of this mount said:
" It is a one piece left sided thin steel mount that only needs minor adjustments. 1. A very small trim of the inside of the gunstock. (to allow the mount to slide in) 2. After the Scope Mount is installed, slightly bend the scope mount out and rotate windage knob (Just like the Kennedy Rifle) so the clip will drop in from the top. 3. Sight your scope. And you are done!
It works like a charm!
(Trust me the Weaver #1 DOES NOT WORK!)"

Any one agree or disagree???

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's an interesting adventure into the absurd, but not into reality. I have owned several Carcanos through the years and this is to be honest, the LAST gun I would ever pick to use in a hit.

JAK :D

·
1,151 Posts
I would search ebay for the mounts as I have seen them there often. Some sellers don't know what it is so you have to just look.

Now from a collectors stand point. I have more then 40 Carcanos that are matching numbered rifles and I could never drill into one. Especially a 6.5 M38 so I hope what you use is a non matching rifle.

But it is your rifle to do as you please.

3,724 Posts
It was a "Hollywood" brand 4x scope, and IMNSHO Oswald did not use it, as among other things it was not sighted in correctly. However, it was an offset scope mount, and the open iron sights of C2766 were usable with the scope installed. Oswald's shooting did NOT require that scope, and would have been slightly easier without it. At any rate, that shooting is well within the campabilities of anyone on these boards, with that rifle. I bought myself a Carcano M38 myself a number of years back and easily duplicated LHO's shooting in all respects other than target motion, which calculated in relative fade was negligible anyway. Dealey Plaza is actually a very small place.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, you'll also want a United States Air Force shoulder holster to make over into a rifle sling the way LHO did.
Yup. I haven't even started looking for that part yet.....

I 100% understand what you're saying Mybusa. I'm more into Arisakas, Mausers and Garands...so the Carcano is a new one to me. However, you obvously can see what I'm doing. I'm not looking for a "Carcano" necessarily. I'm trying to build out a replica of the Oswald gun and that happens to be a Carcano....

I AM looking for a 1940 Terni...but all matching is not high on my list of priorities....

I'll be surfing the Ebay and Funbroker auctions for mounts until I score I suppose....

·
1,151 Posts
Do you have a photo of just the type of scope? I have about 5 or 6 old small scopes here I'll see if I can match one up.

I also have thought of building a copy but using a mismatched SA marked 7.35 and use it for hunting and for the look.

As mentioned above I and a friend did some "testing" at a range. Both with one of my M38's in 7.35 and a Cav Carbine in 6.5 and they both with open sights and in the time frame of all shots fired did alot better then expected.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have a photo of just the type of scope? I have about 5 or 6 old small scopes here I'll see if I can match one up..
Awesome!!!

The pics above are good....

Here are a few more.....

Let me know if you have a match..

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I had one of these setups a few years back. The Hollywood scope Owsald used did not have a self centering crosshair (!!!), but I could adjust windage by just twisting the soft steel mount. Nowadays these scopes are fairly pricey when you find them on Ebay, but sometimes you can find them on some old sporter at a gunshow, buy the whole thing and sell off the rifle sans scope! They had two different kinds of fit-most-anything bases, flat, for enfields and such and curved, for mausers and carcanos and such.

I wound up using the iron sights also, just easier. Remember to mount it offset so you can load it with the packet clip, many folks forget that part.

·
1,151 Posts
Farmall

Thanks I needed the close up one. Do me a favor an email me and remind me to look to night. I know I have one with knobs like that one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It was a "Hollywood" brand 4x scope, and IMNSHO Oswald did not use it, as among other things it was not sighted in correctly. However, it was an offset scope mount, and the open iron sights of C2766 were usable with the scope installed. Oswald's shooting did NOT require that scope, and would have been slightly easier without it. At any rate, that shooting is well within the campabilities of anyone on these boards, with that rifle. I bought myself a Carcano M38 myself a number of years back and easily duplicated LHO's shooting in all respects other than target motion, which calculated in relative fade was negligible anyway. Dealey Plaza is actually a very small place.

Interesting, but you haven't seen me shoot.
Most any modern .22 semi auto rifle with a decent scope would have been a better choice. The Carcano is as much a plant and a patsy for the crime as LHO was.
And yes, I have been to Dealey Plaza.

JAK;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Farmall

Thanks I needed the close up one. Do me a favor an email me and remind me to look to night. I know I have one with knobs like that one.
Done!

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts