Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a full auto AUG last August. It finally cleared all the ATF hurdles and arrived at my dealer last week.

I had a transfer on a Form 4 nearly three year ago that took 14 months from submission until ATF approved the paper work. What is the average approval times these days?

If this goes into a gun trust will it slow down the transfer?

Any other advice on Form 4 paper would be appreciated.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,093 Posts
trusts that I have processed (I'm a SOT) have taken longer, but mostly because the buyers had issues w/ info (who is on the trust, etc etc, last one had to be revised 3 times to get approval,,,, customers fault not ATF)
and we have noticed it seems to be different for some due to different processors/clerks,,

that approval with revisions was just short of a year, maybe 10 months

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is no "average". times are mostly random depending on the examiner. Late last fall I had a couple come in 4-5 months. I have a couple now submitted in Dec. that have not been approved yet. Form 4's to corp. in two different states. Some states tend to go faster than others. Less paperwork, easier to look up corporate registrations. Trusts are a crapshoot and require more scrutiny since many are not legitimate and many NFA items will eventually die with the trust.
My advice.....don't do a trust....there is zero upside since the LE signature was done away with. Corps. are legitimate legal entities recognized across the country, trusts are sketchy at best....especially ones that you buy at a vending machine where you submit all your personal information, fingerprints, soc. security number, to a 3rd party harvesting your personal information....unsecured. Some fools are looking for the space to put your mothers maiden name! LOL

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What he said. Averge is meaningless. Mail times, holidays, National events, clerk training, all can impact how long it takes to do the form 4. Not that the BATF folks are in a hurry, or don't drag their feet, but each form is it's own story. I suspect that the same people doing the NICS evaluations do the background data runs for the form 4, and the NICS is slammed with buyers. I have had more "delayed" 4473 forms in the last month than I have ever had since it's inception. And for people that should not be an issue .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.