Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I picked up a dust cover for my early Type 99. The DC has a metal tab on the inside which I assume is to keep the bolt from wearing out the cover when pulled back. When I try to install the cover it appears to be too long. It looks to me that the forward right side of the cover is hitting the stock and preventing it from sliding forward enough to close the bolt. Im a complete novice about these things. Is the cover for some other type Arisaka or does the the covers for the 99 have a notch in them? I really don't want to cut the stock or cover to make it fit.
DSC_0167.jpg DSC_0168.jpg DSC_0170.jpg DSC_0171.jpg DSC_0172.jpg DSC_0173.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Your cover is for a T-38 rifle.
I never install mismatched covers as these were hand fitted and will probably mess up the finish on your receiver.
If you notch the wood to make it fit you will qualify as a "bubba"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep it for now and maybe trade it for one that fits. No worries about the stock, my 99 is too pretty to chop up. I don't do the Bubba thing.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
What is the arsenal and series of your rifle. It may have never had a dust cover.
Even if it is supposed to have one, it's not worth the potential damage to the bluing.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,332 Posts
What is the arsenal and series of your rifle. It may have never had a dust cover.
Even if it is supposed to have one, it's not worth the potential damage to the bluing.
AD has some good advice. Too many novices think they need to "enhance" thier new "to them" Japanese rifle with all the Bells and whistles, not realizing that those features might not have been on that particular series of rifle.
(Yes, I did have oldsmobile tail light lenses on my '53 ford, but that was in 1960, and I was a Ute!)

Dean (the other one)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My rifle is a 1939 Nagoya Type 99 series 0. I also picked up this type 30 bayonet which i think is correct for my gun.
DSC_0174.jpg DSC_0175.jpg DSC_0151.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Yep, it would have had a dust cover but finding a correctly marked, matching one (that fits without causing wear) is next to impossible. Better off leaving it as it is.
That's a nice Nagoya bayonet but there seems to be no corelation of arsenals to "matching" bayonets to rifles. The T-99 manual shows the T-99 using the straight guard bayonet but a number of original period photos show them with the hooked guard bayonet. So, it's not incorrect.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the info, y'all are the best. I'll try trading the cover at the next show. I'll also take your advice and not worry about finding one for my gun, it is in really good shape. Can't wait to shoot it though!!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Incidentally, the cover that came on my Type 99 does not have the litttle piece on the inside. It is simply one piece of stamped sheet metal.

I don't own any T38's, but from what I gather the dust covers with that extra piece inside are intended for them.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Musky :

Easiest way to tell the difference between a Type 38 and 99 dust cover is by their overall length, a 99 is 5 7/8 inches long while the 38 is 6 inches . That explains why the cover you found will not allow the bolt to close all the way . Each dust cover was stamped on the end with the last digits of the rifle number and a factory / arsenal stamp as well . Earlier Type 38 covers also have a kana marking along with the rifle number which may be an assembly number rather than the last digits of the serial number . In most cases the small metal tab inside the cover is an indication of a 38 cover, but some of the late production no longer had the tab, that is why measuring the length is the best way to tell them apart .
Vicasoto

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have near mint T99 brought back by a family friend-canvass sling, rod, pod, unground battlefield pickup that has a mismatched cover.
He says he never took the bolt out of the gun.

I have switched a lot around over the years and never had any fit issues.
I have seen original matched pieces that have wear from the matched cover.

Unless you intend to sit and cycle the action a few hndred times or more, I would not sweat it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
I've seen some matching covers that caused some wear but it looked like it was from some damage to the cover or, maybe, dirt underneath. On the other hand I've seen rifles where only a couple of passes with an ill fitting cover made a big mar in the finish. Bottom line is if it's your rifle you can do what ya want with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, not sure when it was made, was just going by what I have read. Nagoya started making the Type 99 in 1939 and since it has no series mark and is within the first 20000 made I assumed it was 1939. There is so much info about these guns, it gets confusing. Anyhow, its a really nice rifle with matching numbers except for the firing pin. Thanks again for all the info and help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts