Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: I have discovered the Danish National Anthem......"Kong Christian stands on the high tower, cracking Gothic Skulls..." Really a neat song, but it bring up the question; What do the Danes call King Kong??? "Kongen Kong" or what??? This is really esoteric, but I would love to see the movie in Dansk....and read the main title.....

Dale

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good one! Being a Norwegian I can't really speak for the Danes, but since our languages are closely related I guess it would have kept its original title "King Kong" - at least it did here. "Kong Kong" doesn't sound too good in either (or any) language.

Balder

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Actually King Kong is named King Kong in scandinavia... However, many filmtitles have fared worse!

In the eighties some translators thought every comedy would be much funnier if they only had the word "Hjelp" (Help) in the title. "National Lampoon's vacation" was called "Hjelp vi må på ferie til Europa" (Help, we must go to Europe on vacation), "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" was called "Hjelp det er juleferie" (Help, it is christmas holiday), "Airplane!" was named "Hjelp, vi flyr!" (Help, we are flying)... The list of pathetic translations is endless and the list of "Help, we..." movies alone is huge... :eek:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scandanavian Languages.....

Thanks Guys: For years I wondered about this sort of thing.....like the amazing number of wars between Norway and Sweden in the 19th Century......I was told that Norway adopted what ever the Swede caliber was, for that reason, like the Finns and Russians....Nicht Wahr??

Dale

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.