Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a mosin nagant available at a nearby gunstore and became interested in purchasing it. The price is currently $130 but I didn't ask any questions about it, I was wondering if I could ask some experienced owners about what I should ask for in making sure it's a good buy. T
Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
First, the store would not know jack, if you really lucky, they will know what model it is.

Second, here is everything you ever wanted to know:
http://mosinnagant.net/finland/default.asp
http://mosinnagant.net/USSR/default.asp
So true! The 91/30 I bought a couple of weeks ago from a pawn shop was labeled as an M44. When I saw it I asked if I could look at the 91/30 and he didn't know what I was talking about. So I pointed at it and said "That one" and he said "Oh the M44, what are you going to do with this piece of crap?".:rolleyes:

I love my "piece of crap" 91/30, it's a wonderful shooter!

I was at another pawn shop last Saturday and I asked the guy if I could look at the M44, he was walking along all the guns kind of pointing at them with the look on his face like he was thinking "What the hell is a M44?" I had to point it out to him too.

Oh well.

·
Copper Bullet member
443 Posts
i got my m44 a few months ago at gander mountain. it was 100$ the 91/30's were also 100$. I presume they are arsenal refurbished, but I love my m44 the springs are as tight as new. the bayonet is tight. It is counterbored. Their staff gunsmith makes sure they are in good shape. I saw several others in the last couple of weeks at pawn shops near here. The springs were soft like butter in comparison. The prices ranged from 120 to 250 on russian m44's.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
i got my m44 a few months ago at gander mountain. it was 100$ the 91/30's were also 100$. I presume they are arsenal refurbished, but I love my m44 the springs are as tight as new. the bayonet is tight. It is counterbored. Their staff gunsmith makes sure they are in good shape. I saw several others in the last couple of weeks at pawn shops near here. The springs were soft like butter in comparison. The prices ranged from 120 to 250 on russian m44's.
Yes, GD is getting stuff from distributors and distributors only have refurbished mosins right now. I bought my 1943 M44 at GD and saw an ex-sniper M91/30 there too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've got it; I took it apart, but it didn't need much cleaning. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to mount the PU scope on it, though I've read about a difficultly with the standard bolt being in the way...
I was also wondering if I posted pictures here whether anyone could tell me about some of the stamps and what they might mean about its manufacture or possible use seen in combat during the WWII era.
If anyone happens to be a collector of WWII infantry rifles I'd love to ask some for some tips about buying guns from that period.

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,948 Posts
Please post pics so we can help you. If it wasn't a sniper , making it one is not usually a good idea. Most of the members here are WWII collectors/shooters so feel free to ask as many questions as you need. This is group therapy for mosinitis!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Newellewen, welcome to the boards. You've found a great place where you'll learn more than you want to about WWII rifles. Please do post some pictures of the rifle, particularly of the barrel shank and anything else that you're curious about. Again, welcome!! Aleks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here's what I could manage; a friend has a better camera that I should be able to use to get close-ups of the smaller stamps. If it's not recommended to try to adapt standard 91/30s to snipers then I won't do it.
From what I can tell and what little research I've done on the internet, it was made in 1935, and I see the sickle & hammer in a crest, so probably Russian-made.
Also - these four pieces came with the rifle in a plastic bag along with an original oil can, bayonet, ammo pouches and strap.
I'm not sure of what they're for.
This is the first in my collection, and I'd like to eventually get my hands on similar period rifles - Kar 98, MAS 36, Lee & Enfield, M1 Garand, Springfield 1903, Type 99 - and build from there.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Here's what I could manage; a friend has a better camera that I should be able to use to get close-ups of the smaller stamps. If it's not recommended to try to adapt standard 91/30s to snipers then I won't do it.
From what I can tell and what little research I've done on the internet, it was made in 1935, and I see the sickle & hammer in a crest, so probably Russian-made.
Also - these four pieces came with the rifle in a plastic bag along with an original oil can, bayonet, ammo pouches and strap.
I'm not sure of what they're for.
This is the first in my collection, and I'd like to eventually get my hands on similar period rifles - Kar 98, MAS 36, Lee & Enfield, M1 Garand, Springfield 1903, Type 99 - and build from there.
Wow, 1935 Izhevsk round receiver. Now, that is something you don't see every day!

So, let me get this right, you want to spend 300 dollars on 120 dollar rifle. Are you nuts?

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Ya done good!

I like that rifle. You've got a Soviet 1935 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M1891/30 [That'd be 7.62mm Vintovka obrazets 91/30 in Russian] That is the first year that Izhevsk arsenal went from making hex-receiver rifles to round receiver rifles. So you've got the first year of round-receiver production. You have the early style of bolt handle. The rifle was rebuilt after WWII. The hammer and sickle is the Soviet emblem or crest.

Check out www.mosinnagant.net and www.7.62xx54r.net for all the information on your new (to you) rifle. As for whether it was used in WWII, I practically guarantee it. If in doubt, look down the bore. Likely as not, you'll see it was shot, but cleaned infrequently. Clean it good, tighten down the guard screws, get some good 7.62x54R Russian ammo, and take it to the range! We'll expect a report.

·
Registered
615 Posts
She's beautiful. The rifle being a round receiver and made in '35, you've got yourself a winner, for that reason I would not try to mess with the rifle and install a PU set up. Also, the PU set up was made for high wall receivers only and you've got a low wall. How's the bore on it? Great gun. Post a range report when you shoot it. Thanks for the pictures. Aleks.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
That's a nice lookin' piece. Congrats on your acquisition and welcome to Gunboards...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow great score on early Izhevsk round receiver in post war stock. A very beautiful rifle. It is a keeper! It would be interesting to see the receiver date on the underside of the tang.
View attachment 149336 (Tang example from 7.62x54r.net)

The accessory kit is a Mosin tool (screw driver and firing pin gauge--also useful as bayonet removal wrench :D) and cleaning kit parts. From Ted's 7.62x54r.net
View attachment 149334 View attachment 149335

If it was my vintovka, I definitely would not permanently alter it to have a repro sniper. Perhaps you can find a real sniper or repro sniper to buy.

Again, welcome to the forum, and that sure is a good looking винтовка.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
The hammer and sickle indicates simply that it was made at the Izhvesk arsenal - nothing more. Nice catch, by the way. Even though I've altered my share of Mosin-Nagants I'd recommend not messing with this one. If you're a fair shot, and this rifle isn't too badly worn you should be able to get 4" - 6" groups at 100 yards over iron sights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got done cleaning it after today's shooting. I ordered 440 rounds of Bulgarian ammo that is on its way, so I only put 20 through it today. Other than shooting a little high it's quite accurate; I'm very happy with this gun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.