Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I recently acquired a 1916 MkIII* and I have a couple of questions. The rifle is all matching with the original barrel. The bore is very good to excellent. There are very few markings on the stock. Just the unit disc, matching serial number on the forearm and some markings on the underside of the wrist behind the trigger guard. My questions are as follows: What do the markings on the unit disc mean? What does the U on the bolt head mean? Skennerton really is vague on that. Last question is. On the stock and the forearm is the number 53, date? Maybe an FTR date possibly? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated Thanks very much. Pictures added

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Out of what kind of metal is that disc made? In the pic, it looks like steel or iron with a brass screw. An iron disc usually signified a Drill Purpose arm.

The format is such that 19 will be the unit. Research required. 19th Lancers? 19th Cavalry?? 19th Cadet Corps???.
Then the date. Feb 1920.
And finally the stand or rack number 429.

'U' on the bolt head means that the material used was not to standard specifications. What is different about the material composition?, I have no clue.

The 53? It could be many things. A date might be one of them, but it is not a usual marking or location.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
"U" on the bolthead.
Malleable cast iron
Used for it's extreme compression resistance & ability to retain oil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The disc is steel as far as I can tell. The reverse side is Broad Arrow marked. The rifle was purchased at an estate auction. There are no Drill purpose markings on the rifle. Due to weath er and the closing of our local range I've only shot it a couple times and it performed very well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for your replies. I have had Enfields off and on for years. Got my first one in 1969 when I was 12(neighbor owned a gun shop) Most of them have been Number 4s. This is the first MKIII I've had in many years so I'm not quite as familiar with them.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
The 53 is most likely a rack number. I have one with 171 stamped into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts