Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
37th series TJK example.

My website will explain a bit more about that series. Yours is fairly early. Mum is lightly defaced, so don't pay those crazy "intact mum" prices you see on Gunbroker lately. Stock finish looks good from the photos. What are they asking for it?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
How many times have we all seen this? People can never leave well enough alone! Should have just wiped the stock with a damp cloth to remove dirt and grime. Otherwise could have been a good score. These guns are creeping up in price quite recently and unmolested examples often bringing good money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for the kind responses. I figured about as much, it really sucks because they have 3 sitting there that have been sanded and refinished... one is a type 99, the other a type 38. Really a bummer

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Thank you so much for the kind responses. I figured about as much, it really sucks because they have 3 sitting there that have been sanded and refinished... one is a type 99, the other a type 38. Really a bummer
Was not trying to be rude Austin. not a bad looking gun and you could offer less depending on what you want. Just hope the sanding was done when these milsurp rifles were not as desirable and valuable.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Just my personal opinion. If you want an example for long term collection, pass on and go find an original one.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Wow $200. That officially makes the Arisaka the lowest value military surplus rifle in the world. Even a sanded Carcano is worth $300. Odd, the question of bore condition was never asked. When pricing an Arisaka, shooting is irrelevant?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Sanded hard yes, nice looking placeholder yes, 250/300 is fair enough yes, will you be able to get that when/if a better/correct example comes along yes, if you want only one Arisaka as a representative rifle yes. However, be aware that they have a tendency to multiply and that 37th TJK will make a nice start.
Peruse the site in post #2 for some excellent examples and what a collection should look like. Don't forget bayonets, slings, strippers, period ammo for display, pouches, belts, etc etc. And also beware of faked stuff. The boards here are manned by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable collectors on the planet and we all love pics.
Good hunting wishes!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Of all of the ww2 rifles I’ve been collecting finding an arisaka has been rather difficult. Then the enfield because so many enfield a were made, but it’s hard to find a wartime enfield in decent shape. Heard the horror stories from RTI

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If you can only get one Lee Enfield get a No4. It is right up there with 03A3 and Garand for a fine shooting experience. Primarily due to the sights. You dont say which war? A WWII No4 should not be hard to find a clean example. Arisaka are very common as well. I could get 1/2 dozen tomorrow. That is No BS. Type 30 up to very late Last Ditch (perfect example). That is not including the internet. Not cheap, for that a person may have to wait. That can be a long wait.

Our individual experiences maybe a bit random, a nice clean Berthier has eluded me for a couple years now. I am not a collector or condition nut. I dont mean some freak example in mint condition. Odd though, I used to see them when I did not want one. That seems like how that goes. If I wanted a Type 30 bad enough, I might never see one again?

Helps to join a club and do a little networking. And be retired and a lot of driving around :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Of all of the ww2 rifles I’ve been collecting finding an arisaka has been rather difficult. Then the enfield because so many enfield a were made, but it’s hard to find a wartime enfield in decent shape. Heard the horror stories from RTI
If you think finding an original and nice Arisaka is difficult, try to find an original (including stock) factory stamped matching Soviet Russian SVT-40.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you can only get one Lee Enfield get a No4. It is right up there with 03A3 and Garand for a fine shooting experience. Primarily due to the sights. You dont say which war? A WWII No4 should not be hard to find a clean example. Arisaka are very common as well. I could get 1/2 dozen tomorrow. That is No BS. Type 30 up to very late Last Ditch (perfect example). That is not including the internet. Not cheap, for that a person may have to wait. That can be a long wait.

Our individual experiences maybe a bit random, a nice clean Berthier has eluded me for a couple years now. I am not a collector or condition nut. I dont mean some freak example in mint condition. Odd though, I used to see them when I did not want one. That seems like how that goes. If I wanted a Type 30 bad enough, I might never see one again?

Helps to join a club and do a little networking. And be retired and a lot of driving around :)
Lol yeah I wish I could haha. I’m 20 years old and already have the gun buying bug lol. Got a garand a few months back and man was it fun to shoot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts