Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the current price for a round of original French Govt. .32 Long pistol ammo?

How about an original full box of military issue .32 French Long?

What sort of packaging was used?

How hard is it to find the above?

Did the French military issue any of this ammo with brass cases or was it all made with the same gray/black steel cases?

·
Registered
19 Posts
French 7.65mm ammo

Single rounds usually go for $1.00 or so, boxes of 32 rounds with nice labels $35-45, bricks of 96 rounds $120 or so, sealed cans of about 1100 rounds $1000.00 or so. Yes some brass cased ammo was issued.

·
Registered
379 Posts
In my experience, I've seen more of the steel case ammo with the gray steel bullet in fairly non descript light tan boxes. I've got some of the brass case rounds in blue/purple boxes IIRC. These latter rounds I'm preserving for collectible purposes.

I've yet to get a live round from any of the steel cased rounds I have; they all seem like duds. I've thought about pulling them down for the projos for reloading, but maybe I should save them instead.

On the topic of 7.65 French Longue; has anyone reloaded these older Berdan primed rounds? If so, what size primers do they take?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
My friend and I have fired his Mle. 1935S extensively using white box .32 ACP ammo. Functioning is 100% and 15 yard accuracy more than acceptable.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Bad Practice

It is not a good idea to fire 32 acp thru the 35 pistols. The rim of the 32 is larger than the 7,65 longue, and this will eventually, by pushing the cartridge loaded indicator up, cause wear on the tab that retains the firing pin, the result is the firing pin comes out the back of the slide, usually when the shooter leasts expects it .....

Refer to "The French Model 1935 Pistols" by Gene Medlin and Colin Doane, there is extensive coverage of this issue in this fine book, which is currently available...

I have been able to purchase several 35 S pistols that had the problem described above, and in every case, the previous owner reported that the firing pin came out after shooting 32 acp.....Fortunately I have some of the indicators I bought 10 years ago from Jack First, and did not have to resort to welding and grinding to fix them.

Dale

·
Diamond Member
489 Posts
THere were a SFM primer and a RWS primer, they are not available anymore for many years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
vonmazur,
I have, like many other people researched this ammo. The S & W 32 Long is as close as it comes. With a bit of modification I believe these will fit perfectly. But, I do need some expert information first. My first question is this. Without doing anything else, can the round be pressed 1/8" further into the casing? I'm talking about as is from the factory. Would that be safe? If the answer to that question is "yes" on both counts, would it be safe to turn the lip used for revolvers down to the same diameter as the casing? If the answer to that question is "yes", then we have an easily reworked round made in America that will interchange with the French .32 Longue. Of course, the brass would also have to be shortened by 1/8" as well. I'd be willing to do this for myself if it will work. I also would be happy to send sketches of what must be done to anyone who is interested. Like someone said, the WWII ammo will almost surely be duds if you find it at all. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
Newby Westhmess

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You could have also exhumed this thread :
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=1641

As described, it's very easy to make 7.65L cases out of 32 S&W Long, as long as you have a lathe, 99% of the 32 S&W Long cases sold to handloaders in France end up as 7.65L.

Dies in 7.65L are available altough expensive, 7.65 Browning dies will work just as well (adjust dies according to the case length of 19.7mm) for a third of the cost.

Here are the dimensions of the cartridge:

kelt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts