Gunboards Forums banner

question

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Farmall 
#1 ·
this weekend is our local show in pennsdale and ive decided to buy a sks.... now what should i look for ? been thinkin about a yugo 59/66 with the grenade launcher any help would be appreciated ya can email me at groundbound99@yahoo.com

#3 ·
a M59/66 would be a great choice at this time. there will be no more imported so the prices will continue to rise on these. check the bore and gas valve. I assume that is pennsdale pa? if so you should be able to find a nice one for $200 or less, and a shooter (well used/dark bore/bad gas valve)for $125-$150

#5 ·
As a first time purchase I would recommend a Chinese SKS. They have a goods balance and are 100% reliable. Available at any Gun Show or retail outlet.
A Yugo 59/66 is a fine rifle but the gas system can be problematic. For a first time purchase I would not recommemd a Yugo based on potential problems in this area. Unless you get an unissued type rifle. These can be a bit pricey.

In either case I would recommend a rifle that is in original condition and free from plastic stocks, muzzle attachments and other add-on furniture. You can do other things later if you wish.

#6 ·
The gas valve. It is located directly in front of your rear sight, there is a lever on the right side of the sight that you will flip up to free the gas valve assembly. Pull back and up on the gas valve to remove. You will want to inspect bot ends of this tube for corrosion and if you theres nothing that you immediately notice to be unusual about the tube it should be ok. And of course inspect the bore. I would go with a Yugo!

#8 ·
i agree with Chinese,much better than the bulky,clumsy 59/66 and they are still under rated at the shows and can be had for $200 and under,the last two i got were for $185,one a 6666 code,and another that has all of the ear marks of a Vet BB

#11 ·
If you are planning to one day have both I would look for a 59/66 in good condition since they are fewer in numbers. The Chinese have been around here for quite a while and are still reasonably priced. The 59/66's will soon be going the way of the Russian and romanian sks in price.

#13 ·
The 59/66 is alright. I have two, but am really annoyed by the grenade launcher.

Yugo 59 if you can find one under $250 is good!

I'd look for a good condition Chinese for under $250 if possible too. They're hard to beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.