Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't pretend to be an expert, but from my understanding, if the rifle was modified to fire the D-166 Finnish round, then the gas port was expanded. The standard Soviet 7.62 round had a bullet weight of 9.6 grams, and the Finnish D-166 round had a bullet weight of 13 grams. To accommodate the added weight, the charge had to be modified. Due to the tighter tolerances of a semi-automatic rifle, the gas port would have to be expanded to prevent over stressing the components or barrel.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Did Finns always modify the gas regulator (gas plug) 1.1 mm hole to 2.0 mm, or some of Finn captured escaped the modification and gas system remained intact?
They did not always modify them from what I have personally observed...but again this is a personal observation. I'd say half to 75% have this modification. I have heard several explanations but the most common is that as the rifle was heavily used and parts became worn, the gas system gathered corrosion, etc. and so a higher gas setting was needed for the rifle to cycle/function properly and so the Finn's altered the regulator to increase it. This was due to a shortage of parts. It was a simple and easy fix to keep the rifles in service vs. refurbishment.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone! The reason why I asked this question is because when I studied online pics, I found some non-refurb non-import non-SA marked matching SVT-40 rifles with stock with typical Finn finish (some were claimed as bring backs by the owners) still have gas regulator 1.1 mm hole unmodified.

This has led to my suspicion if unmodified 1.1 mm hole can indeed reliably exclude possibility of rifle being captured and used by Finns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.