Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked these up over the weekend. I have always wanted a Trapdoor and now I have two! Funny how that works out. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've been reading the first rifle picture was made in 1889, has a three groove barrel, 1884 trapdoor, US marked buttplate, etc etc. Everything seems to be correct. The bore looks brand new, and very shiny. Does the cleaning rifle shown go with this gun? I want to make sure the two cleaning rods were not swapped around. I also picked up, not pictured, an unaltered 1892 Krag made in 1895.

A buddy of mine loads 45-70 for a Shiloh Sharps rifle so I was able to shoot both ( found out I probably shouldn't have shot the one made in 1874 but oh well )

Both guns were very accurate. The 1874 appears to have been made from parts? being it's under 50,000 I read where these were sold as scrap? Barrel is unmarked and has five grooves. Very nice bore in it as well. I think I'll get rid of it being it's not correct. Has a 1873 lockplate, 1873 trapdoor, 1881 stock.

Here's photos of the 1889 rifle.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
photos of the 1874.

Photos of the 1874 trapdoor

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think they are both nice looking rifles. Enjoy them. I have a Model 1884 (serial number puts it in the 1889 date range) with a Buffington rear sight that has a 1873 dated breech block. That fact has always bothered me but who knows how it got there? It is a clean old rifle and shoots very well. I have never felt the need to change it out.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1874 with the 1881 stock does have a P. I read where they purchased stocks until Springfield found out what they were doing and halted the sales of stocks. I thought about parting this one out but not sure what it would bring parted out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.