Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a W series 1891 Argentine at a gunshow today for around $300. The crest was scrubbed as usually but I did not see a marking on the right side of the stock where the marking is usually scrubbed off. The serial number was on the right side of the stock by the receiver but was deep into the wood. Is it normal to not have a mark on the right side of the stock? My 1891 has that mark sanded off on the right side of the stock. Is a W series any more desirable than the earlier rifles?

Thanks.

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ended up going back today and buying that 1891 Argentine. I was a little worried about the bore since it looked a little dark, but after some cleaning, it looks pretty shiney. The bore was very dirty and after several brush and patch cycles, it started looking like much better. This is the second rifle where the bore started looking dark and after some cleaning, it looked totally different. The rifle is very clean, no pitting or rust and the area where the crest was ground off on the receiver show no signs of rust. The only deficiency is the cleaning rod does not match. But not bad for a late, W series 1891.

The guy selling it had other Argentine rifles, two which were sporterized and one carbine. The carbine had been drilled and tapped for a scope and he wanted over $400 for it. One of the sporterized 1891s was in the N serial number range and the stock had been trimmed and the serial number was gone on the right side of the stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts