Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the army has mostly replaced the M16A2 with the M4. With all the possible configurations of this rifle, what is a typical infantryman actually issued today? Basic M4 with a detachable carry handle/rear sights, optics, folding sights etc. Just wondering what the average guy gets.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What I had was a Colt made M4 Carbine with a flat top and a railed front from Knight's Armament. On the receiver I was issued an Aimpoint M68 close combat optic and a PEQ-2 TIPAL, which was the infrared lazer and floodlight.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I had was a Colt made M4 Carbine with a flat top and a railed front from Knight's Armament. On the receiver I was issued an Aimpoint M68 close combat optic and a PEQ-2 TIPAL, which was the infrared lazer and floodlight.
Thank you for your reply, and thank you for your service. Did you get issued back up iron sights as well or just the Aim Point electronic sight?

regards, runner

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
I've been finding the MaTech at shows and on the net in VG-exc condition for around $40-60, some guy was selling them on the trader for $30 which was a screaming good deal IMO. They are good sights for the money although buying a battle arms bracket goes a long way in making them even better and fixes their one weak spot.
http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/badbsm.php In the reimported AR thread my picture of some recently built AR two were suppose to have Ma Techs on them, but only one does because the bracket broke on one during installation (opps :)).

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Careful on buying "Matech" BUIS rear sights.
A lot of these are counterfeits imported from China.
Someone on another forum posted information on how to spot the fakes, but I can't find it now.

These days you have to be very careful. Just about every kind of optical or electronic gun sight or accessory is being counterfeited by the Chinese.
Just about anything on Ebay or the gun auction sites are fakes.

It pays to buy from known sellers like Brownell's etc that have good reputations.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know the army has mostly replaced the M16A2 with the M4. With all the possible configurations of this rifle, what is a typical infantryman actually issued today? Basic M4 with a detachable carry handle/rear sights, optics, folding sights etc. Just wondering what the average guy gets.
For infantry : M4, back up ironsights, 3.5x M150(ACOG) mounted on rail, PEQ-15 Target Illuminator. Foregrips and bipods are not universal but can be ordered through supply chain. Aftermarket buttstocks, universal sling attachments and bipods/foregrips are common. The M4s don't have carrying handles.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,244 Posts
For infantry : M4, back up ironsights, 3.5x M150(ACOG) mounted on rail, PEQ-15 Target Illuminator. Foregrips and bipods are not universal but can be ordered through supply chain. Aftermarket buttstocks, universal sling attachments and bipods/foregrips are common. The M4s don't have carrying handles.
Yep. This is what we have now.

I had the M4 with flat top/backup Irons and an M68 Close Combat Optic device (red dot).

·
Registered
985 Posts
While the average trooper gets the M4, the DMR guys get the M14 in certain areas. As to the BUIS question, it may soon be a thing of the past. I know....I never thought I would hear of this happening either, but we are working on an M14 receiver design for optics only for the seal teams, spec ops, and military sealift command.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.