Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a Turkish M1903 Mauser dated 1935. Need a bayonet and sheath for it.

What style of bayonet is appropriate for this Model? Newbie to Mausers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found some bayonets that have single loop and some with a double loop for attaching the bayonet to rifle, will either work or do I need the single or double loop (opening that barrel goes thru, sorry not sure what it is called). Also found a bayonet that has a curved end to the handle nearest the blade, believe it is an older bayonet from WWI, will it work?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was talking to a dealer that has a Turkish Mauser bayonet (or he claims is Turkish) with a curved hilt that fits the 1903 Model. But would it be military correct for that model of Mauser?

It comes with a sheath and frog.

Found another bayonet that looks like the M35, but instead of wooden grips it is steel gripped. Again dont know if appropriate for a 1903 Turkish Mauser dated 1935. Believe he called it a Gewehr 98 ERSATZ bayonet, used by the Turks for there 1890 mausers, but said they were used on the 1903 and 38 models too. Anyone know if it were true???

Just trying to get a feel on which style would be correct or if other models of bayonets would be correct too?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
The Turks used anything pointy. If it's not from Spain, Chile, Argentina, or another country that bought '91-95 pattern rifles, and it fits, chances are it's "correct". I've seen modified P1907 British bayonets, German Ersatz bayonets, modified German sword bayonets, modified German-produced Turkish bayonets, once a modified Carcano bayonet (I think), and many others.

If it has AS*FA or a crescent-and-star on it, or looks like somebody took a grinder and a welder to it to put on a muzzle ring, it's probably correct.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
I've seen Turk mauser bayonets with "Lithgow" and Wilkinson" markings, cut down from SMLE blades with handles and hilts for the Mauser. I believe the original 1903 and 1893 bayonets were the long, narrow blade, curved hilt, from the early ones I've gotten. But every one I've seen has a cut down blade.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you my BROTHERS in arms. Once again your your knowledge comes through to help out one less knowledgable on such matters.

I try me best to to refit my military firearms with appropriate accessories.

Again many thanks and GOD Bless!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts