Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a shotgun barrel I would like to have gun coated ( Gun Kote) The only problem, This barrel as the front and the rear sights soft soldered, and Gun kote process involves putting the part in a oven for an hour at 325 F . Can anyone tell me if the solder will survive that heat ?

As any of you guys have experienced the same problem?

any information will help.

Thanks!

CaptainStef1

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just be sure of your oven temperature if you are doing this in the home range. Use an oven thermometer - some oven thermostats can be off quite a bit, especially if they have been around a few years.

I have used "spray and bake" finishes before, and they are ok. Have you considered Lauer DuraCoat? No baking. I first tried it several months ago and am quite impressed by it. Like any finish, preparation is the key too good results. It is available in a wide range of colors including lime green or canary yellow, although blues and blacks suit me just fine. You can order it direct or from Midway. Just food for thought ......

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Oven Temp

I've got a homemade oven (Smoker with a burner) and 275 degrees does a great job. Just turn it off with the part in the oven and let it cool off completly before opening. Regards. Sunfish

·
Registered
110 Posts
solder

Soft solder runs at between 350 and 425....just stay at 300 and should be okay....make sure your gun is extremely clean when using gun kote. Also, blast with recommended aluminum oxide....it needs texture to grip correctly. Use denatured alcohol for the last spray before painting. I used soft solder for my cetme sight....works fine. I'll change it if I have to go into battle someday.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have tried a piece of the same solder in the oven at 325F, had twisted the wire in such way that it was standing up in the pan.One hour later the wire still standing up in the pan, No collaps, No melting. I guess It will be fine !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts