Gunboards Forums banner

Question on Series 33 safety

894 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Vicasoto 
#1 ·
I just got a series 33 type 99. Naturally it has a mismatched bolt. It has 2 screw front band, no monopod block on lower band, short rod, but the rest looks early style. Metal buttplate, etc. Should this have a early safety knob or a smooth? My reference says it should have a wooden buttplate and a smooth knob. Thanks!

#2 ·
You need to get "Military Rifles of Japan" by Fred Honeycutt. It shows the 33rd series as having both features depending on early or later production within the series.

#3 ·
Morning w10085 :

Interesting "handle" you have !, Actually a better recommendation for a source on 99 data is the updated 99 book by White & Voigt that is available here on the boards.
Anyway to be sure we need the serial number of your rifle to trully see where it fits in the known charts, by your brief description it looks like you have " an early transition with 2 screw front band, slotted rear band without monopod feature " ( page 59 ).
In the chart on page 60 up to serial number 46637 there are two features that are constant :
1) the receiver still has the 99 Type characters stamped.
2) the safety knob was the early knurled version.
The very next reported serial number 47512 you will see that the receiver has no Kanji 99 Type, and the safety knob is the smooth type. The wooden buttplate does not appear until the 87,000 range.
As you can see there is a lot more to the series changes that took place, that is the kind of in depth information available in the 99 book; Military Rifles of Japan is a good introduction to the field of Japanese rifles, it covers the entire spectrum from history, production of the many types, accesories, etc. In this instance suggesting that w10085 buy M.R.of J. is like telling someone that's suffering from chest pains to take an aspirin....... an answer yes but a poor one IMHO.
Vicasoto

#6 ·
Morning w10085 :

In this instance suggesting that w10085 buy M.R.of J. is like telling someone that's suffering from chest pains to take an aspirin....... an answer yes but a poor one IMHO.
Vicasoto
Well, we all have opinions, as well as certain parts of our anatomy. I've just gotten into the habit of suggesting MROJ & it still can't be beat for covering ALL Japanese rifles. Yes the new book is the one to get for T-99s. Need an aspirin? ;)

#4 ·
Thanks and more info

It's 31,316 with the type 99 markings. I have both a smooth and a knurled safety and wanted to put the most correct one on it. It came with a knurled but I really needed it for my mismatched zero series Nagoya. I have McCollum's book and I know I need another. Thanks for all of the info!

The handle comes from a project I worked on for about 10 years. The ID was w10085. It was just a number I could remember.

#5 ·
Hey w10085:
Yours is the first rifle with a 31,000 serial number reported, definitely you need another knurled safety knob to be correct. Question is the bolt that came with the rifle a plum bolt handle knob ?, are the bolt - firing pin - safety - extractor all numbered the same ?; another question is the condition of the mum, is it untouched or has it been filed - nicked - ground ?.
There is another feature that started to change between 29667 and 32959, the rear sight assembly went from the one with the wings provision brackets ( with or without wings present ) to the plain rear adjuster. Which is yours ?.
Duncan McCollum's book is a more condensed book dealing with series rifle production among T-38s and 99s. No matter whether you have Duncan's or Fred's book the new edition of the T-99 book is the source of data needed to understand the production changes that occurred from 1939 to 1945.
Vicasoto

#7 ·
Hey Mr. Adgs. :

Not trying to slight your answer, it is just that it did not provide an answer to w10085s questions even if he had purchased MRofJ . By showing him the source of detailed 99 information he is able to have a satisfactory answer to his questions, and if he plans to collect 99s then he knows that book is a must for him to own besides the Mc Collumn book he now owns.
There is a general feeling that Military Rifles of Japan is the "bible" for collecting, that was true in 1976 when the first edition came out. In todays world it is no longer considered a bible but rather a great beginer's book. If you want the latest data on bayonets you need Johnson, grenade launchers Babich & Keep, T-99s is the new White & Voigt, T-30, 35 & 02/45 you have the Early Arisakas; very soon we will have the 38 series book.
All the above publications have taken collecting to a new level, MRofJ will introduce you to the field , but if you collect or specialize then you must have the up to date books. If we are going to answer correctly or give advice we must offer the best and latest, to do any less is to offer a band-aid for a leg fracture.
I agree with you that God has given us humans the same equipment, it is how we use, missuse, or abuse it that makes the difference. You might say that I am now an expert in the use of painkillers, became free of them once the stump healed, all I have left are the persistent "phantom pains" but I can grin ( grim at times ) and bear them.
Vicasoto

#8 ·
Question for Vicasoto

If nobody has posted on a 31xxx series 33 then I'll be happy to give people the info that they need what is a good way to post info?

It has a plum bolt handle but the internals of the bolt do not match each other. The sight slide is machined for the AA wings.

#9 ·
Info on 33rd series.

w10085,
Info is normally reported on a 'data sheet' you can find these on the banzai site, look in the books and links sticky.

All TK rifles had the plumb handle, so this is not a distinquishing factor.Since the bolt insides are mismatched, it doesn't help on the safety type.

the rear sight is interesting as it is right at the change from the wing capable to the sight without the attachment points. A full serial is needed for this to be meaningful.

Welcome to the boards, if you are interested in the T99 book, PM me for details, have a look in the Japanese WTS forum for info.

#10 ·
Hi there :
Thanks for the answers, the bolt face is it silver looking or blued ?, behind the locking lugs there is a gas vent hole is it round or oval ?. The factory markings on the bolt body are at the bolt handle root at the rear, if you know your markings you will see who made that bolt.
The rear sight is the "B" variation in your case without wings and that is correct.
Look on the stickies on this board, go to the "Where to buy books", scroll down to the T-99 data sheets link, follow instructions and down load the 2 page data sheet, fill it out and mail it to Trey Stancil.
If you cannot down load or have problems send me your address and I will mail you copies to fill out on all your 99 rifles, research is still going on on all 99 variations for a future book.
You can get a hold of me at : vicasoto99@yahoo.com
Thanks.
Vicasoto

#11 ·
Victor, we really aren't too far apart in our thinking after all. I've been hopin for some time to see the newest MROJ rewrite & maybe these more specialized works are a better answer to the needs of us all. I just received Ken Elks new ammunition book & it looks to be a fantastic reference.
Honestly, I don't really know why I even responded to w10085's post above. He's trying to remedy a mismatch. That's like trying to make ice cream out of dog poop - it may look good but it still stinks! ;) Yeah, I know I just bought a mismatch in that Jinsen on the trader board but it does have the Jinsen bolt & I'm gonna leave it as it is.

#12 ·
Hello Ad :
Yes indeed we are much alike and that is good !, it also helps to have a sense of humor and enjoy the challenge of the clash of minds ( I hope your buddy is asleep at the keyboard ).
It was amazing how much factual data Fred amassed in creating his book, as the years it changed format and was updated where necessary. On the other hand 3/4 of the stuff there is still the same as in ' 76. I don't believe it was his intention to make a definitive book on Japanese arms, it is too broad a field, his was as he said a companion you could take to the shows for quick ready reference.
Many of the older collectors I met carried the first edition in their show kit bags, you never saw the others as they got too big and unwidely. Just like in your room pictures I have seen others have the later editions on their shelves. I know Ralph and Ike would be smiling from ear to ear if they could peruse the new books coming out now. You can see the respect and value of Japanese arms today that didn't exist 30 years ago, it has been the publication of MR of J, Derby, Banzai, and the plethora of new books that have elevated this segment of militaria to what it is today. We are all beneficiaries of the efforts of those pioneers, now we can nit-pick and discuss any subject and be accepted as serious collectors and researchers.
Remember the day when ice cream meant neapolitan and Baskin Robbins 31 flavors was way out there !, now look at a major supermarket, one row is just dedicated to all the makes and models of ice cream.
Dont feel bad over that special last ditch Jinsen, they are a tough one to find. In ' 97 I got one # 94646 which for many years was the high serial number for the 40th series, I felt lucky to have as it gave me the goal of the flat topped front band, no dust cover grooves in the receiver and the unique flat bolt stop.
I will be ordering the new Elks book next week and hope to have it here after we get back from Lost Wages, am going there next weekend and hope to see ssniper.
Vicasoto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.