Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate if members could tell me if it's OK for SC 1903 A3 with serial number 4 736 122 to have barrell date of 3-43...I am thinking it is kinda late serial number for that date, but then I checked Vi shooters pages and saw that there are more SC reported with such gap in barrell dates and serial numbers on receivers...Any opinions?

Thank you,
Lc

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
That's a "gap" of about five months, when the usual was 0-2 and maybe three at the outside. I hesitate to say it is a replacement, but it sounds a little late to me. The only explanation would be that the receiver was one of those held in reserve, or that, for some reason, the rifle failed it's accpetance tests and was overhauled before being accpted.

No way of knowing for sure; the above two assumptions are educated guesses, only.

RtL2

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
I agree - the bolt body is a replacement made by Brown & Sharp (the cocking piece/firing pin is a M1903A3). I can't get a good view of the recess for the lower band spring to tell for sure about the stock. It is either an early SC or Remington M1903A3, though. The trigger guard MAY be a replacement (it is a SC) but I'm not totally sure about that. Because of the flash, I can't tell if the finish is original or not. Looks refinished to me, but again, that might be the flash "speaking".

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Don't forget, when parts were made in different parts of the factory, placed in bins, and taken to the assembly line, it was "first in, last out." It also could have been a left over barrel from the first contract.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,345 Posts
I would be more inclined to see the barrel as original to the receiver. However, the trigger guard looks parked? If so, not correct finish. Nice looking rifle! I may have a blued, X-marked bolt body (SC). PM me if interested and I will look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.