Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think that sometime in the future, an RC import with shellac and numbers stamped on the stock will be worth more than one that has been stripped with the RC numbers sanded off the stock and made more "authentic"?

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Mosin collectors might step up after all of the 91/30's etc are devoured or banned from importation But I doubt it as most people that collect k98's want them as close to German issue as possible.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
some feel that they should be left in original russian condition including me. personally i wouldn't alter the stocks unless the shellac is flaking off profusely and even with that i wouldn't strip them chemically either. maybe just add more shellac after removal of the spotty stuff.

maybe one day soon we will not have the chance to buy anymore from sponsors, etc, and it will be up to the auction sites and pawn shops. when that happens i would think the codes that are harder to get will go up but of course the economy will play a huge role in that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the way I see it since most RCs are mix masters, the capture and refurb will become part of the k98's long history. I guess I am contemplating picking one up just to keep it the way it is, shellac and all.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
I have said this before, and will say it again.....and at the risk of starting the traditional RC debate here goes...

Originality is what we all want.... Right? Of course!

Originality is why some want to strip off RC shellac and swap out parts in the thinking that they are going back to something more original. In that effort to gain originality, those who "Restore" RC's are in effect destroying something that IS in an original format now. The problem is, they are in an original RC format, not in German originality.

The Soviets did not capture huge piles of nice minty rifles. They got rifles in all sorts of conditions from mint, to worthless. They did not coat with shellac and dip these rifles for fun, or just to annoy decadent western capatilist collectors.

They stripped, sorted, and assembled working rifles from the miriad of parts they had on hand. They then preserved them in storage in what was the best method available at the time for them.... Dipped blue, paint touchups to worn areas during periodic inspections, and shellac on the wood. They matched these rifles by a new set of EP'd numbers and stored them for the epic battles to come.

Some made their way to Viet Nam, and some were used in other areas of conflict between the east and west, and still some were used in internal Com Block altercations. Others remained in storage.
Some are now being sold in the US to be treasured by collectors who value ALL of their long and varied history.

Some may choose to think that anything done to these rifles after 1945 was "bubba work" but that is picking and choosing your history...it might be fun, but it is basically just denial of reality. The reality is these rifles have a long storied history that goes beyond the day their original owners lost them.

AGAIN This has nothing whatsoever to do with snobbery. It has everything to do with trying to keep fellow collectors from inadvertantly becoming "Bubba" by mistakenly assuming that an RC 98k is not "original" as it is.

An RC is an RC....they can not be German again, and so from a historical standpoint many collectors think it is best to leave them as they are, in their original post war Russian format rather than trying to make them "German" again....something they can not ever be EVER again.

I will say it again.... originality is what we all desire, and anytime you modify something from it's original form, that's a bad thing in the collectors world. Like it or not RC's are in an original configuration....just no longer a German configuration.

That does not mean that you will end up smoking a turd in hell for eternity if you refinish an RC. It just means that when you are done, you should not expect to have a German rifle....and it will no longer be an RC either.

I am also not saying that an RC will ever be worth as much as an original nazi era 98k. They are two different animals, and will forever be different animals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.