Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a well used and slightly abused all matched 42 1938 98K #791 l with Luft proofed laminated stock, the stock is P marked and numbered and proofed on the outside, inside the handguard and stock are not marked. Also the flat butt plate and bayo lug are blued and the spring band is not numbered or proofed. The proofs in the stock are faint but I can make out the WaA63 on a couple of them. Would blueing the butt plate and bayo lug be part of the process when changing the stock? Only seen one other early rifle with a laminated replaced stock and can't remember any details.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
If the buttplate was blued, it was done post war. The Germans did not blue buttplates, even on rebuilds. I don't recall off hand when bayonets lugs began to be blued. It is possible that this piece was done during a refurb, but I would say the odds are against it.

From the picture, I am not sure the buttplate is blued, I have originals that have turned that dark or darker through rust/aging.

Why do you think the stock is a replacement? Although I would have expected it to be numbered internally, laminate stocks were in common use in 1938.

Nice rifle, I am going to look at an "all matching" 42 code 1938 tomorrow, we shall see.

runner

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the butt plate is a dark patina, haven't had the time yet to do a good cleaning on it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had a "P" marked stock once, I believe it was a 1943 byf stock. Speculation ranged, but "Polezi" or Police regularly is mentioned. I have not seen documentation in any event.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Property location is on the right side of the butt not the underside.
It is not likely Police.

Manufacuturer marking IS on the underside of the butt ..example "C" marked 44 era stocks.

Maybe the "P" is a subcontractor.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,752 Posts
I would vote against it being a replacement, as I have never seen a replacement that got the branch of service marking on the side (i.e. Eagle H, Eagle L, Eagle M). Most likely the lack of serial inside was an oversight- I recall an S/42 G with a similar issue.

However, if I do remember all of the P marked stocks I have seen myself were on reworks or rifles with replaced stocks, but my memory is fuzzy as I don't keep track of that aspect all that well. I do know I have a rework 147 1938 with a replacement stock, and it is not P marked, not that it means much.

One other theory- the stock was rejected and replaced during manufacture (such as failing the final accuracy test).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting thread. I have a rifle that supports Farb's theory on P marked stocks being on replacement/armourer stocks. I have a completely matching duv41 with a P marked laminated stock which I always believed to be an armourer's replacement.

Both bands, the bayonet lug and the cupped buttlplate as well as the band spring are all stamped matching and 214 proofed. The recoil lug is also 214 proofed.

The stock has no waffenampts anyware and is stamped with a P just behind the pistol grip and byf marked on the bottom of the spine. There is no SN in the barrel channel.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
That P marking shows up on Oberndorf stocks, early ones, mostly, if not all, laminate, that for all purposes are factory original. I think it is a subcontractor marking or some other lot identifier.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I think it was the late Ambrose Selker and ScottB that made the first comments that I agree with regarding this marking.

It has something to do with the stock, its something to do with the transition to/early use of laminate stocks. Probably some sort of qualifier for the transition? It shows up on many makes, even ordnance spares, and its almost certain not a unit marking.

There have been numerous discussions on this subject and this was the best explanation imo, though a subcontractor could be a possibility.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
P-marking

I've also have seen this on early laminates as well..whats the german word for laminate?maybe it starts with a "P"..It makes sense as ww1 era stocks that were used with experimental beech were marked with a large "B" ON the side..As far as the blued butt-plate and bayo-lug it sure looks like coldblue or that antique browing fluid you can buy at any gunshop. it looks swirly to me..sorry chuck...it comes right off though...nice rifle.M99

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
1) Nothing experimental about B-marked stocks in WWI. They were standard issue from their introduction right along with walnut to the end of the war.
2) Just to add to the above, I have a Gew 98 DWM 1915 rebuilt at Danzig in 1915 and reconfigured as a K98k w 1937 barrel by XXI with matching number laminated stock dated 1941 with P in the stock. Another XXI (bcd 41) with a 1938 barrel has matched stock but no P.

·
Registered
581 Posts
ive got a bolt mismatch non import 27 1940 thats had its stock replaced at some time with a flat laminated WaA26 with early weimar birds and a P on the spine. the bands match the reciever and the stock looks like its been with the rifle for quite some time..its caked with grease on the inside

1 - 14 of 14 Posts