Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a No5 Mk1 at a show last weekend. Ive always wanted a "jungle carbine" but to get to the point , this rifle is marked on the metal on the wrist section M47 C
BH9192
Thats on the right side.
On the left side there are three letters F M P
The front sight is marked M47 C
The Barrel band And cocking piece is marked M47 A
Its marked as a C.I.A. import on the barrel.
Can one of you fellows tell me if this is a parted together gun ? What do the markings mean? ETC.
My camera is dead, so sorry for no pictures.
Also I tried to find a online site With pictures of and listings of enfield markings but didnt have ayy success , any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
I will take a stab : if all serial numbers on wrist, bolt and barrel and under forward end of forearm match: its all original.

M47 is the code for BSA (British Small Arms) as the maker.

FMP: Now my memory fades but that may be Federation of Malaysian Police

The ones that came from Malaysian service can have corrosion issues under the wood so
properly take off the wood and clean/grease areas of metal accordingly. Take fore arm off
first and then take off the butt stock. Failure to do this in that sequence means you will split the
rear of your forearm.

The forarm is tapped off the receiver downwards. Don't pull down on forearm and lever it out.
Two pieces of wood along the receiver and tapped upon will force the forearm to drop off the receiver.

FMP: Did I get that right lads >???

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do . ThANKS FOR YOUR HELP milprileb. I can see some corrosion on the edge of the cupped buttplate and sheetmetal half ring at the back of the top hand guard.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Actualy, taking the forend off first only applys to No1 rifles. Earlier ones had a stock bolt with a square end that fit into a metal plate at the rear of the forend. Removing the stock bolt on these would spread the plate, splitting the forend.
No4 and No5 rifles don't have that plate and the stock bolt doesn't have a square end.

Though it's something to remember if you pick up a No1 or No1Mk3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.