Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a nice 27 marked and 1938 dated rifle awhile ago. several parts were coated with black flat paint which I am presuming were not original and there are some miss matches too. All the pieces including the handguard match the reciever and barrel and all pieces other than the butt plate and bolt. The cupped buttplate is marked brg and the bolt matches itself and nothing else. The stock is laminated and matches nothing else although as I said the hand guard does match the receiver and barrel. It also has a date, at least I think that is what it is, under the butt plate of 3/26/43. I have never seen that before and I was wondering if anyone could elighten me or shed any light on what it could be and why it is there. The plate was very had to remove from the stock and I would say had been there a real long time as it left orange primer paint on the wood. The rifle is not duffle cut or import marked and I find no marking on it to be from other than German heritage. I would appreciate any input on this rifle anyone has to offer. I have found the rifle to be from ERMA Works and found the brg on the suplemental manufacturers list but no nothing else so far. Thanks in advance for any help. Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
6,986 Posts
Most of the time stock makers can be deduced from pictures, although brg was used on Gustloff (BCD) stocks, maybe others as well.
The numbers under the buttplate are the date and I think some other production info, although you can deduce it was made in 43.
Your rifle should have a flat buttplate stock, not cupped, as the change did not take effect until 40/41 or so.
I think it could have been laminate or walnut as I think some of the first laminated stocks were just being introduced, but I speculate a little there.
I have a non-capture marked flat buttlate laminate stock if you decide to swap for an early stock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
zebill, I have a 1939 "27" K98k. It has a laminated stock that has a matching serial no.
My matching buttplate is not the cupped type, rather the thin one. I posted pics on the old board the other day, but it appears the old board can't be accessed today and the prior archaived posts on this board are missing. Will post pics again if you want. Everything matches on my rifle, except the bolt. Even all the screws have the last two numbers of the serial no. on them. I bought this over 25 years ago. It has no import marks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts