Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a B barrel M39 and the tang markings have me scratching my head. I don't find a similar one on 7.62X54r's site. I believe it is a Tula. The receiver is one with the tapped grease hole in the receiver ring.
Any input appreciated.
twerpy.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Interesting. The only tapped grease hole receiver (?) that I have belongs to a 1915 Sestroretsk. The tang is undated as well. I suspect that it is pre 1898.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
It's certainly a Tula and probably 1892 to 1894. There's a thread on this subject in the Survey Forum and from the limited data it appears that feature was dropped in 1894. Also, from what I've observed, none of the earliest receivers were dated on the tang. Izhevsk began no later than 1893 and Chatellerault in 1894 I believe. I don't have enough information on Tula or Sestroryetsk, but would guess they were about the same time.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Chatellerault Receiver Tang Dates.

There is a M91 running on Gunbroker with a Chatellerault receiver showing a date of 1894.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all.
It's kinda hard to grasp that it could be first year production.
There are some other things that I find unusual. There is two sets of numbers on the left front. The top one is the same as the current barrel number. You don't suppose it could have been an earlier Finn version and then rebuilt again into a M39?
There is also no sign of ever having any stamping on the top of the receiver. No pinging, no grinding, no nuthin.
The other thing is a stamp of what I think is a commission proof.
Ted, if there are any other pictures I can take that might be of help for your data collection, let me know. Feel free to use any you like.
twerpy.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
The number on the receiver that is the same as the number on the barrel will have been placed there by the firm that imported the rifle.

Not sure about the other one. Assembly number perhaps?

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Sometimes the Finns numbered the receivers. It could be the mismatched number is from an earlier build by the Finns and the matching number was done by the importer, or by the Finns, but I doubt they did that with the B barrels. I think you're right that the "PK" mark at the rear of the receiver is a proof commission mark. Here's a guess, maybe the very earliest production didn't mark the top flat of the receiver and used this mark instead. With so few examples around it's hard to say what was "typical" then.

Thanks for the offer on the pictures. I might snag a couple. I'll let you know when I upload them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here we are, 115 years later wondering what it's seen and where it's been. How many generations and what their nationality that carried it in how many battles. Truly there can no other model say it has lived longer than this.

Ted, if it would serve you better, I will send you picture(s) direct.

twerpy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts