Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm grabbing an M91 tonight and there's a stamp on the receiver that I haven't been able to identify yet. I'm sure it's just one of the many that nobody knows about but I figured I'd post it up here and see if anyone has seen something similar before. It's the circled set of characters below the eagles on the receiver. For context, the rifle is a 1916 PTG which appears to have been in Finland. The rear sights are finn marked and it looks like there may be an [SA] on the barrel shank. Anyone seen anything like this one before? I've already checked most of the stamp repository web sites but haven't seen anything quite like it..

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
It's an Austrian marking; partially stamped. Josef Springers Erben, mostly found on barrels, but as you can see here, also found on receivers.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! That certainly does make it much more interesting! So a PTG that was captured during WWI, stamped by the Austrians and likely later sold into Finnish hands. I like it!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I haven't even seen the rest of the rifle and can already say that is a great score!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it will be! As long as nothing changes to keep me from being able to get this one. Very nice stampings on this one. The blue is pretty much all gone but I don't see any rust or corrosion in any of the pics. Should have this one in hand tonight after work. Gonna make for a long day waiting on this one! I'll get this one cleaned up and then do a nice photo spread. Hopefully the rain will stay away for a while so I can get some good outdoor photos of this one. I'm kind of sick of the rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts