Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Local pawn shop has a No4 mk1 in decent shape but it has red and white painted stripes on the stock. Does that identify the rifle as being a DP? Only asking because a relative wants to purchase it. As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Red and White stripes were used as DP Indicators on Indian Rifles, more commonly seen on Sht LEs and P-14s than No4s in my experience.
You may also find DP marks on the magazine, the bolt handle and barrel knox form
Is there any other indication of Indian use? (Ishapore screw, RFI stampings on metal, proofs etc)

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, I'm trying to get an answer for my question without creating a new thread. I have a no4 mk1 with the flip up screw sight (I think it's called the micrometer sight.) It has three parts, the housing with the numbers and marks on it, the screw, and the slide with the sight on it that moves up and down. I need to disassemble this so I can clean it and re-blue the metal, as it is in very bad condition, but I can't seem to be able to figure out how any of the pieces come apart. Any help would be appreciated, or if there is another thread you can refer me to. Thanks.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
There are more parts than you think!
:sorry:
You might want to copy/hardcopy this.

To remove complete from action:
Drive out pin #26 UPWARDS (its tapered downwards won't work even though its far more logical)
Press down on sight body & slide pin #27 out to the left. even though its slotted it isn't threaded.
The sight will "pop" up under spring tension from spring #24 & plunger #25.
Drive out pin #3.
Unscrew fully screw #8 from bearing #6.
Watch out for spring #4 & detent for click stop elevation #5. (They live inside the raised part of the ladder applying pressure to the elevation click stops.)
Slide out bearing #6 from slider.
Slide eyepiece #7 out towards the top.
Viola!
Reassembly is the reverse but the pin #26 is usually toast, you can replace it with a finishing nail, needle or something similar. Now you discover the reason for the slotted head on the plain shaft of pin #27, to rotate it during reassembly to align the hole for #26 with the slot in the action.
:thumbsup:

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,677 Posts
Welcome to the board! Start a new thread. It's easier to search and follow single topic threads. Check out the stickies on the top for tons of information.

So, I'm trying to get an answer for my question without creating a new thread. I have a no4 mk1 with the flip up screw sight (I think it's called the micrometer sight.) It has three parts, the housing with the numbers and marks on it, the screw, and the slide with the sight on it that moves up and down. I need to disassemble this so I can clean it and re-blue the metal, as it is in very bad condition, but I can't seem to be able to figure out how any of the pieces come apart. Any help would be appreciated, or if there is another thread you can refer me to. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are more parts than you think!
:sorry:
You might want to copy/hardcopy this.

To remove complete from action:
Drive out pin #26 UPWARDS (its tapered downwards won't work even though its far more logical)
Press down on sight body & slide pin #27 out to the left. even though its slotted it isn't threaded.
The sight will "pop" up under spring tension from spring #24 & plunger #25.
Drive out pin #3.
Unscrew fully screw #8 from bearing #6.
Watch out for spring #4 & detent for click stop elevation #5. (They live inside the raised part of the ladder applying pressure to the elevation click stops.)
Slide out bearing #6 from slider.
Slide eyepiece #7 out towards the top.
Viola!
Reassembly is the reverse but the pin #26 is usually toast, you can replace it with a finishing nail, needle or something similar. Now you discover the reason for the slotted head on the plain shaft of pin #27, to rotate it during reassembly to align the hole for #26 with the slot in the action.
:thumbsup:
Fantastic reply! I looked the whole assembly over many times, but never new pin #3 even existed, mostly because it's sooo small. Anyway, the rear sight axis pin and its retaining pin are both missing, but are currently on order, due to arrive Friday (the sight is being held on with what looks like a rudimentary bobby pin.) And now I have something to fill my free time until then! Thanks again.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Just a tip.
The whole sight was NOT blued. The rear face (except the base)was in the white so the markings could show up more clearly. The "tabs" above the sight of the elevator were also in the white. The bottom base of the sight was also white.

My No4 on the left & the No 5 on the right.

If you re-blue I'd do it all then use a little ScotchBrite to remove that part of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a tip.
The whole sight was NOT blued. The rear face (except the base)was in the white so the markings could show up more clearly. The "tabs" above the sight of the elevator were also in the white. The bottom base of the sight was also white.

My No4 on the left & the No 5 on the right.

If you re-blue I'd do it all then use a little ScotchBrite to remove that part of it.
That's good to know, because whoever owned this gun before me had blued the whole assembly. To be honest though, I might wind up bluing the whole thing again. I'm not really worried about historical accuracy, and I don't ever shoot at targets far enough away to warrant using the flip up sight. Mainly, I want the sight to look presentable, which is a tall order, seeing as it looks like the previous owner tried to SAW THROUGH the peephole you use when the sight is flipped down. Who knows why.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.