Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: were any 1911 Colt .45's converted to 1911A1's. If so were there any special markings given to them? I ask because i have a chance to pick up one. It has a 5 digit serial no. ,but features of a 1911A1. It has a dark green phosphate finish. It has an inspector mark but no other extra stampings. The grips are replacements. Any idea on value would be appreciated. The barrel says .45 auto with a letter P and f. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Think the 'A1 version was accepted in 1924 so the transition models should date to that era.
Don't know enough to identify the slide exactly but I think the patent dates and the location of the pony stamp make this slide contemporary to the frame.
I'll be corrected if I'm wrong and we will both learn something.
I don't see any arsenal rebuild stamps so it was never "officially" rebuilt, now if it was "liberated" during WWI (or shortly after) maybe someone upgraded it along the way.
If it was not liberated and stayed in the military, maybe unit armorers updated it.

Almost every old tyme gun shop used to have cigar boxes of parts, usually for little money.
I rebuilt my civilian 1911 (dated from 1921) from just such.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your help on the .45. Its starting to sound like this pistol was put together from parts. Maybe it will be a good shooter. Any idea on what would be a fair price to pay for it?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It's not uncommon to see early pistols with a variety of later parts as they went through post-war rebuild programs. The issue is there is really no way to know when or who made those changes unless you have a gun with provenance straight out of US military service, such as a DCM gun from the 60s or one of the recent CMP guns. The slide on that gun is much later than the frame, from the WW2 era.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The Marines did cut the A1 finger cuts into the M1911 frames when they rebuilt some M1911's into M1911A1's. This was around 1950.

So there were some m1911s converted to m1911A1 specs. Of course this one doesn't have A1 cuts. But there were some done.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
You have a typical 1911 pistol that has been rebuilt somewhere along the way, by rebuilt I mean parts swapped for later issue parts, I doubt any concerted effort was made to officially rebuild this pistol. The only question I would have is when was the pistol frame parkerized? That could have been done after entering the civilian pipeline.

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
You have a typical 1911 pistol that has been rebuilt somewhere along the way, by rebuilt I mean parts swapped for later issue parts, I doubt any concerted effort was made to officially rebuild this pistol. The only question I would have is when was the pistol frame parkerized? That could have been done after entering the civilian pipeline.
The 1911 was in service the first 20 of my 30 yrs of active duty and I came across many original 1911 frames upon which 1911a1 parts had been installed. Some still had 1911 original slides and some WWII era slides but all had 1911a1 grip safety. Hammers and triggers seemed to be pretty much a "part" and although most 1911's seen had the long trigger in them, a few had been changed out to the smaller / shorter version. Any armorer at unit level could change out parts, order replacement parts and stuff onto a pistol. Parts is and Parts are just that..parts.

The pistol in question is most likely as it was when it left military service...however that happened. It has GI parts on it so its a WWI/ WWII era pistol that most likely saw service well into the 70's.

I have my fathers 1942 mfg Colt 1911a1. Yes, he took it home with him after WWII so thats how its here and its just as it was issued brand new to him at Pine Camp, New York (now called Ft. Drum). It has a 1911 hammer on it , its a 1911a1 in all respects including frame. I suspect early WWII, Colt used up any remaining 1911 parts in production and that is how this pistol sports a traditional 1911 hammer.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The frame appears to be an unaltered 1911 type. Some of the components are 1911 (hammer, grip safety), and some are A1 (mainspring housing, trigger). The slide appears to be A1 (sights). It is typical of an issue rebuild, or assembled from mixed GI parts. Early Colt slides often have the serial number stamped beneath the firing pin retainer plate.

PRD1 - mhb - MIke

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
Thanks again for all the helpful info. It seems like this is an average military 1911 colt. I take it shooting it would not hurt its value. Any idea on what would be a fair price to pay for it? Thanks again
Well value is a sliding scale but a GI 1911a1 is easily pushing over $1000 these days. There are legions of collectors over at CMP forums who could accurately price your pistol value.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,104 Posts
Well value is a sliding scale but a GI 1911a1 is easily pushing over $1000 these days. There are legions of collectors over at CMP forums who could accurately price your pistol value.

this number is a good baseline,

it may actually sell for a few hundred more in a auction or at a show,

ditch the franzites, they tend to be brittle, and shrink as they age,

you can get a good set of replacement GI plastics reasonable, (look for keyes post war (Korean era usually) replacements

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
this number is a good baseline,

it may actually sell for a few hundred more in a auction or at a show,

ditch the franzites, they tend to be brittle, and shrink as they age,

you can get a good set of replacement GI plastics reasonable, (look for keyes post war (Korean era usually) replacements
Those would be better than the Franzites but better still would be "aged" double diamonds..................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.