Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired 3 boxes 20 rds each of Hornady Match 7.62x54R HPBT for $70.00. Upon examining the rounds in each box I discovered each round is head stamped S&B. Does S&B own Hornady. I'm pretty sure I got a real good deal on this ammo. Mike / Mgfrd

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
No, S&B does not own Hornady

The only 762x54R Hornady Match ammo I have seen has been steel cased.

S&B brass cased Hornady Match ammo ...I'd call 800 Hornady number and ask
if they use S&B brass. I'd be suspect unless they told me it was the case

S&B brass is the worst brass I have ever encountered and is very thin: conducive to
head separations . Fired once, its almost impossible to get 3 reloads out of the stuff.

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
Many months ago, I tried to buy 762x54R Prvi cases from Grafs but they were out and they told me Hornady bought up that brass. I called Hornady then to ask if they'd sell me some of the brass but got the cold shoulder. Above thread indicates some ammo in Privi cases have been seen. It all tracks

I have shot the 762x54R steel cases "Match" Hornady ammo and was unimpressed. It was not very accurate and I account that to the cases being steel.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just talked to Hornady and they told me my lot number is 2011 and at the time they were using S&B brass because they could not get newly mfg steel. CSR explained the obvious that steel is not reloadable and even if you get only 3 reloads out of S&B brass is better then steel. I got some prvi spent brass. have to get a count to see how many if anyone is interested. Thanks again. Mike / Mgfrd

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have shot the S&B180 gr ammo thru my Mosin Nagants over the years and the ammo has performed superbly. Some years ago I was at Camp Atterbury in S. Indiana with my brother in law and at 100 yards open sights 3 of my first five shots down range were touching each other and the other two strayed maybe 3 inches. My BIL got groups of five into the size of a coffee saucer plate. With that said I have never reloaded the spent shell casings. Last I looked at the Hornady website the Match ammo was $37.95 per 20 rounds and was out of stock. Stuff must be doing well for most shooters or the items would not be out of stock. Mike / Mgfrd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.