Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while i think i have a grip on finn 91s,91/30s and 30s,i am ignorant of the subtle stuff on other finns. so, were the double dog collar slotted buttstocks made/issued on 27s,28s,28/30s or all three? i have seen some of,at least 28s and 27s offered/shown with such stocks. which is original and correct? were they recycled at need by the armorers to fill whatever need was there using available parts? clue me in here.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,616 Posts
From what I have gathered if I understand your question corectly is: they were orginally issued on the early Sig M28s. Later, yes some did end up on M27s, but were not originally issued on the M27 series. I have seen pics of a double slotted stock made into a 2 pc stock on a M27. So my uneducated guess in this case the stock was recycled into a 2 pc stock. The odd stock also had the popsickle cut out on the muzzle end like the later M27 stocks.
The M28 and M27s stocks interchange easily so yes they were used where ever they were needed. I think the last 3 or 4 M28s I got had M27 stocks, one of the last M27s I got came in a M28 stock. Not unusal at all. I also bought a M28 with a new looking 1939 dated SKY stock made for the M28/30. The stock was not opened up for the 28/30 aluminum barrel bushing in the front. Not that much unlike the M91s or any battle rifle during war years, they used what ever was available and what ever worked. Maybe in the end years they just threw this stuff together?
Cheers, John.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
m28's and m28/30's were made for the civil guard. their inventories were kept separate from army inventory until during the continuation war when the civil guard was dissolved and the army took control of the civil guard weapons.
the double sling slot was made for the first contract sig barrel m28's. some wound up on later m28's either because they were changed out during refurb, or some of the original stocks weren't used when they were first made and were taken out of storage later and used.
since m27's were made for the army, a double sling slot stock on one of those would indicate a later refurb (at least after the civil guard was dissolved, 1943/44). I have seen pics of m27's in m28 stocks, and the last 2 m28's I picked up were in late m27 stocks (they have cutouts for the popsicle stick reinforcements). I usually think of these as post ww2 rebuilds, since it indicates army control of civil guard made stocks. post ww2 could mean any time from the end of ww2 up till the 60's. strictly my opinion on that, though.
can't remember seeing any 28/30's in m28 stocks.
I'm a little leery of m27's or m28's in 28/30 stocks because until about 5 years ago you could buy 28/30 stocks and handguards from wholesalers fairly cheaply. an early rifle in one of those stocks stands a fairly good chance of being put together here in the states.

y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Site Contributor
1,341 Posts
m28's and m28/30's were made for the civil guard. their inventories were kept separate from army inventory until during the continuation war when the civil guard was dissolved and the army took control of the civil guard weapons...

...(at least after the civil guard was dissolved, 1943/44).
Minor corrections to these parts: The grand majority of Civil Guard rifles went to war with Armed Forces already during Winter War (1939 - 1940) - much of the rifles went with the Civil Guard members serving in the Army, but much of the other Civil Guard rifles were also transferred to Army in year 1939. Needless to say the rifles didn't get returned and served also both Continuation War (1941 - 1944) and Lapland War (1944 - 1945). Civil Guard was dissolved in October of 1944, abolishing it was one of the Soviet demands based to Finnish - Soviet peace treaty of 1944.

Jarkko

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,050 Posts
m28's and m28/30's were made for the civil guard. their inventories were kept separate from army inventory until during the continuation war when the civil guard was dissolved and the army took control of the civil guard weapons.
the double sling slot was made for the first contract sig barrel m28's. some wound up on later m28's either because they were changed out during refurb, or some of the original stocks weren't used when they were first made and were taken out of storage later and used.
since m27's were made for the army, a double sling slot stock on one of those would indicate a later refurb (at least after the civil guard was dissolved, 1943/44). I have seen pics of m27's in m28 stocks, and the last 2 m28's I picked up were in late m27 stocks (they have cutouts for the popsicle stick reinforcements). I usually think of these as post ww2 rebuilds, since it indicates army control of civil guard made stocks. post ww2 could mean any time from the end of ww2 up till the 60's. strictly my opinion on that, though.
can't remember seeing any 28/30's in m28 stocks.
I'm a little leery of m27's or m28's in 28/30 stocks because until about 5 years ago you could buy 28/30 stocks and handguards from wholesalers fairly cheaply. an early rifle in one of those stocks stands a fairly good chance of being put together here in the states.

y'all have a good day, Keith
That is correct but they were postwar made finger mortize stocks with square ends not wartime.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
thanks jarkko, it makes sense that if the rifles were turned over as early as 1939 that we'd see so many m28's in m27 stocks. if they were damaged during the war, army depots would have performed repairs with whatever stocks they had on hand.

deandallas, you are correct. I just looked at two of the 28/30 stocks that I have and both have the square fingers. Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.