Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about how many of you own model 59 or 59/66 SKSs with apparent 'trench art' or personalized grafitti on them.

I have a well-used model 59 with two St. Sava's crosses carved into the stocks. I heard of other Serb symbols, and some Bosnian fleur-de-lis as well. What else is out there?
Thanks-
Poot

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I've had some opportunities to buy some that were "personalized" in the manner that you describe but I chose to buy 'clean' rifles instead. There's definitely some "character" to the rifles if that's what you're looking for...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've owned a few with names carved in the stocks. I've always wanted one with a carved crest but no luck. Same with he M48 series Mausers and M24/47's. Names but nothing else

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I had some beaters come in some years back, one 59/66 had been restocked into what appears to be a heavily repaired russian stock, I think, and a burned in shield shape that has squares in it, and a few other minor things marking it up.
It could be an early 59 series stock, but the bayonet slot was elongated. I have kept it all this time cause the former owner buggered up the rear tang of the trigger guard assembly in an unsightly manner, gun is accurate though, but the triggerguard is I guess a part of its history, maybe why it needed a new stock.
Just another plain jane from that war, thank goodness it has a decent bore unlike all the others in the batch it came with.
At the time of those century arms cracked stock special for $100, they said these were "Bosnian War" rifles for sale, some got star and crescent markings on theirs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
not sure if it was on another board here or the Cal Boards...but they had some great pic's of some that i can only describe as similar to the side of a grafiti'd train car or bejeweled taxis in certain 3rd world cities - haven't seen any carvings like these though...

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for sharing guys, excellent contributions.

I'm definitely partial to the ones that are more religious or ethnic in nature, very cool veterans of a conflict that alot of people seem to want to pretend didn't happen, or won't happen again (Good luck with that...).

On a lighter note, the 90210 stuff cracks me up...but not as much as the ones that have David Hasselhof pictures on them. If I had a pic of him on my rifle, I'd want to kill someone, too. Hmm,...maybe I'm onto something...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I snagged two back in the cheap Dunham's days...the first is my favorite:

The picture stinks but it is a mint 59/66A1 with this "CCCC/Only Unity Saves Serbs" carving with the eagle on the right buttstock. It is lightly carved but very detailed!

The other is more crude:

Several carvings on this rifle, including "Duric" which is assumed to be someone's last name, possibly the man who carried it. The right side has a name "Sanja Mira" which a couple of people have guessed is a woman's name, possibly a girlfriend, a wife or heck, maybe a prostitute! Who knows...

I do love the look of these two rifles. I sold off my mint SKS's but kept these...they have too much character!

·
Registered
383 Posts
A note on the 90210 stickers...my friend was over there in Croatia when all this was going on in the early 90's, before any "friendlies" moved in. He said the reason you see so many of those stickers was that the show was huge over there at the time.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,567 Posts
i believe I have either seen Vlad's picture before or actually saw that kit. Vlad, did you get it @ KCR? It is indeed very well done.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.