Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you own a Century repro sniper (Should have 9130SXXXX Importer Serial number), was your rifle built on an actual sniper/ex-sniper rifle? Please post pics, if so.

Thank you,

John

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don't own a Century Repro, but my understanding is that they were built on regular 91/30 referbs. The ones that I looked at, certainly looked like plain referbs. Especially the one with the Hex receiver.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I've seen about fifteen Century replicas as they came through our local Big Five over the years and none were on sniper-marked rifles, just clean wartime refurbs, all Izhevsk. Many of these were bought by local military, knowing they were replicas.
I have also seen two old ones that Century built on Finn-barrelled 91/30s with authentic scopes perhaps twenty years ago, again not sniper marked. I knew these were not done by the Finns and refused the $600 asking price of the private owner who thought they were real snipers.
I do have a really weird Century scoped PU myself, a scoped Izhevsk with a "CH" stamped on it, which I take to be a fake mark, unless Izhevsk stamped some after taking over Tula's manufacturing. It came with an authentic Progress scope.
The several recent Big Five replicas I have helped sight in at the range were quite good quality with Ukrainian scopes and good steel mounts and shot in the 2-3 MOA range at 100 yards right out of the box with surplus ammo.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Have had 2 Century 9130Sxxxx rifles, neither were ex snipers, one '43 Izhevsk had a really crudely machined, rough receiver exterior. The other was an Izhevsk hex, typical mid '30's finish.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have a few century marked rifles from 1989 and 1990 that shoot well have steel brackets. I never did look to close at the scopes or rifles. Still have two unfired from that time I plan to give as gifts after cleaning them up. I don't think there was anything special about the rifles. HTH

This is one I gave to a friend a few years ago, don't think he has used it yet.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have a Finn M91/30 made by Tikka 1944, unfired with an honest WW2 Soviet PU scope on it. I got it at Century [when they used to let dealers in] back in 1988. Mavens here on Gunboards [I say with sublime respect] told me it was a Century job. I was pretty naive and pretty excited [all full of 20km biathlon endorphins!] to get it. A super price to. Have never seriously shot with it. Now I need to try it with handloads. My brother is going to use it at a classic sniper rifle shoot in Butte at the end of June. So let's see...... he is the best natural shot I have ever encountered in my life, shooting hunting or military.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.