Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told that the "Bodeo" Model 1889 and the earlier Model 1874 revolvers are popular with shooters in Italy. Has anyone ever made, or considered making, shooting replicas of these handguns as several firms in Italy make replicas of popular older revolvers for export to the US? Is there a sufficient market for such replicas in Italy, or are there laws which restrict or prohibit modern replicas of these historic arms?

It seems to me that Uberty/Beretta or Pietta could make such replicas easily and well. So why don't they (or do they make them and just not import or advertise them in the US).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yes, '89 and '74 are popular with shooters in Italy even if ammunitions are rare (but they can recharge).
No replicas in Italy: it is only a matter of market. We have still many originals and there is no need of replicas.

I think that if from the States will came some request they will start to think of replicas.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting; thanks for the insight, kanister. Not sure if there is enough demand for '89s in the US to warrant making replicas. Ammo is tough here, too! Just bought 40 rounds of Fiocchi for a hellacious price! Needed some for show, since I've been making "shooting" ammo using the excellent instructions of members here.

Some years ago I had a long session with some representatives from the Tula (Russian) arsenal who were visiting my college. Tried to get them to consider re-making the S&W "Russian Model" SA revolver for import to the US for "Cowboy Action" shooters, which was becoming a huge market at the time (Tula made thousands for the Russian government back in the 19th Century).

My parting volley to them was: "If you guys don't start making them, the Italians will!" Guess what, about 6 months later Navy Arms came out with an Uberti-manufactured "Russian Model"..... And now we make loaded ammo and components for them; there's that much demand.

So you never know, a reborn '89 MIGHT sell here. But I'm not sure; most Americans don't know them nor do they know or care much about Italian history.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well some italian replicas priducers are thinking to make Carcano or Mauser rifles in the future :) All is possible in the near future :)

regards

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I'm concerned, the more good quality replicas of historic arms there are, the better.

More excellent quality Italian muzzleloading shotguns like the Pedersolis and more hammer cartridge shotguns like the V. Bernadellis would also be welcome.

If Bernardelli or another maker would make an '89 or '74 as nicely finished as my early 1920s Bernardelli '89, I'd buy one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.