Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently picked up an original/unconverted m1871 Dutch Beaumont. 1875 dated, type 2 (w/o safety). Compared to my 1871/88, it's most definitely browned. So here's the question: I'd read from a Dutch bayonet source that m71 Beaumont bayonets belonging to the Royal Netherlands East-Indies Army (KNIL) during the Aceh War were browned. I'd then imagine that the entire rifle and not just the bayonets were browned for KNIL use. I'd also read elsewhere that rifles issued to KNIL were not converted to the Vitali magazine system. Could this then be justification to say that this rifle, browned and unconverted, was issued to the KNIL and possibly seeing action in Sumatra?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That is patina that you are looking at on the barrel, it hasn't been "browned". When a barrel is "browned" it covers the whole barrel including what is below the wood line. Sumatra was just one small piece of the Dutch East Indies. It appears that the rifle has the 1879 updated rear sight with the 200M to 1800M scale on one side & the 150M to 650M scale on the other for the scherpe patroon No. 8 cartridge. Interesting rifle and undoubtedly was used by the KNIL. Nice rifle, thanks for sharing.
Dan in Texas

·
Administrator
12,267 Posts
The receiver on the M/1871 is definitely blued - maybe the OP refers to it?

Very nice find, I have been looking for one of these for years!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.