Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for the silly question, but to what does the "204" in your nic refer? I see a photo of a landing craft of some kind in your avatar and was curious. Thanks!

C/

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sienen,The picture of the LCVP in the Welling davits was taken by me in `54 off Thule,
Greenland while I was crewed on board the USS Sarasota(APA204).During WW2 she
participated in landing regt.combat teams,37th infantry division into the beach at
lingayen,P.I.,three weeks later elements of the 24th infantry div. at San Antonio,P.I.,on
April 1st `45 she was off the Hagushi beaches of Okinawa,offloading men of the 96th
infantry division,all the while under heavy Kamikaze attacks.After shifting to Kerama Retto
she landed assault troops on Ie Shima off the Motobu Peninsula.She won three battle stars
during WW2. I didn`t report for duty on that ship until seven years later,at the end of`52.
That LCVP in the picture is only one of 22 other landing craft she carried,including two
LCM`s on the after deck.Athough not Japanese firearms related, I felt that a picture of
a true combat veteran used in that war would be o.k. as my avatar.AlthoughSarasota came
thru the war unscathed,there were many dents and dings left untouched on the port side
of the superstructure.These were caused when she was "on the hook" in Seeadler harbor
in the Manus islands and the Mount Hood(AE 11) ammunition ship exploded with 3800 tons
of ordinance in one huge blast.Parts of what was the Mount Hood were blown in every direction,and the biggest piece found was 10'x16'.The crew of 371 men were never found.
Charlie

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sienen, Understand your father was on LST 204 during WW2. I can understand your asking
why I would chose 204 sailor for a nic.Those men who served aboard LST`S really had thier
lives on the line once the ship had beached and was offloading men and materiel as they
became stationary targets for shore batteries.Whether it was the ETO or PTO anytime you
see a picture of a beachead that was taken you always see Amphibious vessels of all sorts
destroyed there.Thanks for asking.

Ray, Thanks for posting the picture of the Sarasota.It`s the clearest one I`ve seen yet. I
have one taken during WW2 off of Lingayen Gulf,P.I. when she was painted in wartime scheme, but the picture resolution is lousy.I`ll probably download your picture for my files.

Charlie

·
Gold Bullet member
11,644 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bones92, Thanks for posting the link to the USS Mount Hood tragedy. I never saw so many
sequential shots of it. I only remember years ago that a neighbor had a newspaper article
put out after the war with one picture on the front page.Sarasota`s record indicates she assisted in search and recovery with her landing craft and first aid parties,while her sick bay
took in more seriously wounded personnel.

Charlie

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sienen, Understand your father was on LST 204 during WW2. I can understand your asking why I would chose 204 sailor for a nic.Those men who served aboard LST`S really had thier lives on the line once the ship had beached and was offloading men and materiel as they became stationary targets for shore batteries. Thanks for asking.Charlie
I was hoping that perhaps you may have served on the 204, or were related to someone who did. Some years ago, I located someone in the LST 204 reunion group. One fellow with whom my Dad served was still alive and living in the NY metro area. When I mentioned his name, Dad said "Well, if you get ahold of him, tell him I want my uniform back." It seems that this fellow took a load of dirty laundry, including a uniform of Dad's, for washing. Dad got transferred off the 204 the same day and had to pay for the missing uniform out of his own pocket.

C/

·
Registered
208 Posts
Raym, Thanks for posting the link to the ships pictures. To me it`s a good reference to keep on file.And it goes to show that by being a member of this elite board one can gain
access to knowledgeable,resourceful people who are more than willing to share their ken.

Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts