Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I found what I hope is a good deal. I bought 1600 rounds of 109 gr 9x18 Wolf of Gunbroker, math worked out to 6.71 per box w/o shipping, 7.08 per box shipped. Now the question: I looked at the Makarov ammo sticky here, and it appears that the 109 was replaced by 100 gr. ammo. This is the first run stuff, has the copper colored case not steel, w/ round bullet. So why the change to 100 gr. projectiles, anyone know? Will this stuff be battering my frames into jelly or something??

Thanks...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the 109gr truncated-cone Wolf, and it is a little hotter than I like with my 17# recoil spring. I think it's recommended you use a 19# spring with the hotter Wolf loads.

·
Administrator
7,043 Posts
pwhited, you got a great deal on some of my favorite 9x18 ammunition. The Wolf coneheads had many reported feeding problems and I wish they would have continued with that round-nose cartridge.

A lot of us have shot a lot of 109-grain and 115-grain through the Makarov. As makarov.com wrote, if you shoot the heavier bullets in the Makarov it's adviseable to use a heavier recoil spring - the 19# or 21#, to lesson the pounding the pistol takes. You'll be able to tell you're shooting a bullet that's heavier than 95-grain but I think the pistol will hold up well.

I think one reason Wolf and Silver Bear quit producing the heavier rounds was the increased importation of the PA-63 and other 9x18 pistols that aren't all steel, such as the FEG SMC 918. It's reported that those don't stand up well to heavier loads.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough, thanks for the heads up on the spring weight. I have one 19 pound spring, looks like I can get another now. The guy was selling two full cases and a 600 round lot, I wanted both the cases but by the time I got set to 'buy it now' it was gone. Go figure. If I keep buying the stuff I'll never do any of the reloading that's been waiting for me.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I used to love shooting the 109 gr Wolf until they made the conical bullet load. Easy come easy go on the auctions. Better luck next time!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been shooting the 109 conical. No problems but I did polish the feed ramp a long time ago. The 19lb. spring feels better and I think I could easily go the 21 lb.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats on the good price! The 109 grain is still one of my favorite rounds: no jams and plenty of power in a Mak with 18 lb spring. I fired thousands of rounds in several maks without a hiccup. I did switch one of them to 19lb spring, and the recoil feels a little less strong. You should have no problem using up your 1600 rounds in a genuine Makarov! It does jam in my PA63.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts