Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new 1903 Turk yesterday, and I'm wondering what the stock actually fits, because I don't think it is correct to this rifle. It's a gorgeous stock and I love the color, but it doesn't fit. I removed the handguard and there are some gaps at the front of the action and at the barrel step. I don't see myself replacing it as it's just too pretty of a stock, but I'd like to know what the stock actually fits.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think your stock is for a later M38. The clue is the gap in front of the receiver ring. The handguard, OTOH, appears correct for a 1903.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
I agree. The Turkish 1903 is an intermediate-length action, so it's just a tad shorter than regular '98 actions, but the triggerguard and screws are supposedly the same spacing as a standard-length action, so they fit in either type of stock- but there's that gap because of the shorter action.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys! I'm pretty new to Mausers so I'm learning. It's such a nice looking stock I'm going to leave it alone. At a glance you would never know, except for where the end of the handguard doesn't go all the way to the lower band like it should. It looks like it's been in that stock for a long time...I'd like to know the history behind it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. The Turkish 1903 is an intermediate-length action, so it's just a tad shorter than regular '98 actions, but the triggerguard and screws are supposedly the same spacing as a standard-length action, so they fit in either type of stock- but there's that gap because of the shorter action.
Sure enough. I measure the distance on this rifle from the bottom of the charger bridge to the back of the ring, and it is about 3/16" shorter than the same measurement on my 1938. The handguard is the same length as the '38, I guess it's just sitting further back on this rifle. Too bad there's not a way to lengthen the handguard just a little. Just enough to make it meet up with that lower band.

Of course, since I like that stock so much, I could always put my '38 in it and get another stock for my '03. There's a thought...

·
Registered
447 Posts
03 Turk stock question

The 1903 Turk isn't an intermediate length receiver. It is a standard length receiver but the receiver ring is 1.900" long instead of 1.800" like the K.Kale marked Turks or 1.685" like the K98k or the Gew98.

The 03 Turk bolt is intermediate length, however. You stock looks like it came off a Mauser which used the sheet metal collar to hold the handguard, similar to the 93 spanish and sometimes the 93 Turk and the 96 Swede.

The difference in the 03 stock and the K.Kale stock is the magazine well opening which is .200" shorter in the 03 and the inletting for the 03 receiver ring extends .200" further toward the magazine well. The amount of wood between the recoil lug and the magazine well opening on the 03 stock is greater than the K.Kale stock, also by about .200".

HTH.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts