Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made up a couple of boxes of 12 ga shotshells using my trusty MEC 600 Jr, but I wasn't paying close enough attention and got two boxes of shells where the crimp closure left a central hole large enough for #7.5 shot to spill out. I adjusted the cam once I noticed and the rest of the shells are closed up nicely. Here's my question: can I simply run all of the incompletely closed shells through the properly adjusted crimping stage again? I'd hate to have to dump the two boxes of shells ...
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could try that. It will probably work. That is unless you have too much shot in the shell. Is the top of the shell humped up after your original crimp? If so, you probably have too much shot in it.
HTH

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too much shot, just enough room for it to rattle around. Everything else is good except that the central hole is a few millimeters too large. My press was set up for Win AA/HS shells, which these are, but until recently I've been reloading only the red and orange ones, while this whole batch is the black ones. I didn't realize that there was a slight difference in how the black ones are closing up, mistakenly thinking that Win AA/HS is Win AA/HS, but there is variation, it seems.

I'll give it a try -- I've probably got nothing to lose.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Open them back up,, probably pour the shot out for a minute, try to flatten the crimps out as much as possible (open), then LOWER THE PRE-CRIMP slightly, then re-crimp.

If you get "perfect" adjustment, due to hull variation, you will, out of a batch, get mostly "perfect" crimps, with a FEW small swirlies (hull too long) and a few SMALL HOLES (too small to leak shot).

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Open them back up,, probably pour the shot out for a minute, try to flatten the crimps out as much as possible (open), then LOWER THE PRE-CRIMP slightly, then re-crimp.

If you get "perfect" adjustment, due to hull variation, you will, out of a batch, get mostly "perfect" crimps, with a FEW small swirlies (hull too long) and a few SMALL HOLES (too small to leak shot).
I had some leeway to lower the cam and already did that, which produced four more boxes of perfectly closed shells.

I'll have to reopen them only if just re-crimping doesn't work. The recrimping is going to move each "point" about 1mm toward the center, if that much -- reopening the 50 shells I made while paying insufficient attention is what I'm hoping to avoid. Lesson learned, either way.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I had some leeway to lower the cam and already did that, which produced four more boxes of perfectly closed shells.

I'll have to reopen them only if just re-crimping doesn't work. The recrimping is going to move each "point" about 1mm toward the center, if that much -- reopening the 50 shells I made while paying insufficient attention is what I'm hoping to avoid. Lesson learned, either way.
Not the cam.

The PRE-Crimper.

The tool that partially folds the case mouth, but leaves it tented up at about 45-degrees.

Totally separate and not connected whatsoever to the final crimping die, the step immediately PRIOR to the final crimp die.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I understood what you said, of course. However, I found that MEC provides a "how to adjust your MEC 600 Jr." instructional video. MEC instructs that if there is a hole in the center (the problem I was having), then the first adjustment should be lowering the cam, if possible. MEC further instructs that if the cam is already at its lowest position so that it cannot be lowered, THEN the pre-crimper should be lowered. In my particular case, there was plenty of room to lower the cam -- and it completely solved the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.