Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard many people talking about their T38 and T99 "this is T-XX, Series XX, Manufactured in XX".

I know that mine is converted from Long lifle to cavery configuration at Nagoya Arosnal in sometime in 43~44. My serial is 1005167. It has V-notch rear sight, so I know its one of the early one. But where do I find marking indicating what series this gun is? I was under impression that each series was identified by a small Japanese character (kana) placed within a circle to the left of the serial number, which I have nothing there.
next thing I'm wondering is that I have Letter "S" stamped on my barrel. I was told that this indicate that barrel proofing is at Koishikawa(Koishikawa switched from "B" to "S" barrel proof mark in the late 800,000 serial number range. So this make sense, since my number is 7digit number). But My reciever have the Kokura Arsenal marking(circle surrounded by 3 circles). But serial on bottom of barrel where its threaded in to reciever and reciever itself match. So now I'm conused.

Someone gave me great deal of information at old board, but i donno how to search my old thread from older board...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Your rifle was made in what would be called the "original series", prior to using the series marking. That is why there is no series marking. It appears the barrel on your rifle was cut down to the cavalry rifle length, or it was replaced with an S marked one. The serial numbers underneath the receiver and barrel are the assembly numbers the arsenal stamped on at the time of the re-work of the rifle to cavalry configuration. These should be matching, as it appears yours is. Also, the barrel should have a "step" in it just to the rear of the forward band (the one with the bayonet lug on the bottom.) Post some pics of the rifle and numbers if you could. Others here will have more information on this model.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello mity2:
First of all Tokyo Arsenal ( the old Koishikawa ) began production of T-38 actions in 1906, at that time rifle production was consecutive up to over 2 million rifles. So your rifle was made half way in the production run.
After the effects of the 1923 earthquake on the arsenal and a decission to expand and at the same time spread out armament production. rifle manufacture was transfered from Tokyo to a new arsenal at Kokura on Kyushu Island. They decided to keep the same arsenal symbol for Kokura production, as afterall the machinery and stamps were the ones from Tokyo Arsenal. Only the factory and inspection stamps were changed.
Next in the early 1930s as rifle production was resumed at Kokura and Nagoya Arsenal came on line with rifle numbering in the 2,230,000 range the Japanese decided to use a new system of numbering by series. Therefore Kokura was asigned the 20 to 26th series, for some reason Nagoya was also asigned the 26 to 29 series.
So as you can see your rifle was made sometime in the 1910s, and as you already know it was "recycled" in the '40s to short rifle configuration. The rifle retained its old number as it was not a new production. I have yet to see a later series rifle being converted to short rifle configuration, all seem to be older Tokyo production.
Long rifle barrels were shortened and remachined to short rifle specs, worn or bad barrels were replaced with used ones where needed. As I had mentioned before all good used parts were reused and the old assembly numbers scrubbed off and now renumbered to match the last 3 digits of the serial number. The only new part used was the stock.
So since the receiver was made originally by Tokyo and numbered in the 1 million range that was left alone. Nagoya Arsenal's Chigusa factory is the one who did the conversion, that is why you will find the "na" and "chi" markings on the new stock and you will find the "chi" marking stamped on the receiver; you will find this mark on the receiver in the area of the stock weep cutout, so 3 sure ways to identify a short rifle are the barrel step behind the front band, the "na" and "chi" stamps on the stock, and the "chi" mark in the weep area.
Hope this clears up your confussion.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i was unaware that over 2,000,000 t-38 were made before "イロハニホヘト” was used. That'll explain why mine have V natch rear sight, where almost all others I've seen had peep sight. and have really blueish color blueing, not more darker color one on later gun.

on the older board, it was confirmed that this is honest to good Japanese converted cavery gun, with all the proof verified.
i've posted this pics before, but what the heck...

YOu can see how well perserved this gun is compared to my recently picked up Series 6 T-99...

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
And it is still a very nice example of the T38 short rifle. You are lucky to have such a fine specimen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I still shoot it tho. And it shoots great.
I'm not sort of hooked on this whole collecting Japanese gun thing.
I'm now looking for T-14, and T-44.
I'm not in to spending rare collecter items tho. I'd rather just get nice shooter and shoot it.
Afterall, thats what they were made for...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
To mity2;

I was about to ask the same question that Seinen did. It would sure make discussing inspection stamps easier. Please let us know how you did that!!!!!

Thanks

Frank

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be happy to tell(show) you. But i have 15 min left on my lunch. So you guys'll have to wait tell i get home.

IT does make it easier to discuss inspection stamp and stuff tho.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
30A ゠ ァ ア ィ イ ゥ ウ ェ エ ォ オ カ ガ キ ギ ク
30B グ ケ ゲ コ ゴ サ ザ シ ジ ス ズ セ ゼ ソ ゾ タ
30C ダ チ ヂ ッ ツ ヅ テ デ ト ド ナ ニ ヌ ネ ノ ハ
30D バ パ ヒ ビ ピ フ ブ プ ヘ ベ ペ ホ ボ ポ マ ミ
30E ム メ モ ャ ヤ ュ ユ ョ ヨ ラ リ ル レ ロ ヮ ワ
30F ヰ ヱ ヲ ン ヴ ヵ ヶ ヷ ヸ ヹ ヺ ・ ー ヽ ヾ ヿ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana#Unicode

Cut & paste works for me.

SlimTim

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Wow, this new forum format is awesome!!! Diddn't realize until the above postings but even the Kanji in addition to Katakana and Hiragana can now be read straight in from the posting box. Excellent !!
Super job 03man and BradB !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Slimtim's way is one way to do it.

Every Window OP being sold have all language preloaded in to it - So that one software can handle many other country where window OP is being sold. Only not configured.
Whatever computer you load it in, weather computer here in US or in Japan, or Bangladish, just tells DOS to install appropriate language.

So all you have to do is to go:
Start
setting
Control panel
Reginal and language options
then go to Advanced.

Just pick Japanese and load it.

After you do that, you'll get selectable language setting bar(see pic) after you click icon "EN".

Now, what SLimTim told us is prolly the easiest way. Except when these weapons were made, what SlimTim posted - called "gojūon (五十音)" was not in use. Instead, they used system call iroha (Japanese, 伊呂波, いろは) system. A Japanese poem most likely written sometime during the Heian era (AD 794–1179). Originally the poem was attributed to the founder of the Shingon sect of Buddhism, Kukai, but more modern research has found the date of composition to be later in the Heian Period. Its used because it is a perfect pangram, containing each character of the Japanese syllabary exactly once. Because of this, it is also used as an ordering for the syllabary.
which goes like this:

イロハニホヘト チリヌルヲワカ ヨタレソツネナ ラムウゐノオク ヤマケフコエテ アサキユメミシ ゑヒモセス

i ro ha ni ho he to  chi ri nu ru wo wa ka  yo ta re so tsu ne na ra  mu u wi no o ku ya ma ke fu ko e te  a sa ki yu me mi shi  we hi mo se su

BTW, original Poem went something like this:
色は匂へと 散りぬるを我か 世誰そ常な らむ有為の奥山 今日越えて 浅き夢見し 酔ひもせす

tranlate to something like this :

As flowers are brilliant but [inevitably] fall, who could remain constant in our world? [No one could] Today let us transcend the high mountain of transience, and there will be no more shallow dreaming, no more drunkenness

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
Japanese characters

Edokko,
thanks for the compliment, but we didn't do it! These boards are a significant improvement and very powerful and fast.

Nice to know we can use the Japanese characters, though it will be pretty slow for us non speakers.

イロハ
I just cut and pasted the Iroha characters from the post above.

I think I will make a new link to mity2's post. It will be in the "interesting information" sticky
at the top of the page.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts