Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i was looking at my grandpas guns the other day and i saw he had the m91/30 but when i was looking at it i noticed that his didnt have as much wood on the barrel then all of the other m91/30's that ive seen. on his the wood ended at the rear site. i was wondering if this was a special model of the gun? please help. thanks.

·
Administrator
3,448 Posts
The rifle was sporterized, probably many years ago, by cutting back the full military stock and discarding the handguard and barrel bands. This was quite a common thing to do many years back.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Grandpa's gun pictures:

And Grandma too:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rifle was sporterized, probably many years ago, by cutting back the full military stock and discarding the handguard and barrel bands. This was quite a common thing to do many years back.
why would someone do that? does it help the gun?

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
To make it lighter. Haven't you wondered about hunting rifles and their short stocks? I think the only full stocked hunting rifles I know are based on Bavarian and Austrian hunting rifles that were originally used in the Alps.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,550 Posts
Does not help a rifle designed the way is was originally. Why do you think you see these for sale in so many numbers. Just cutting the stock does nothing. Except make it lighter.

Now, if you really put some thought, ingenuity, and craftsmanship into it, then it would be an M27, M28, M28/30, M39, M28/76....

...get it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts