Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As shown in MROJ, the M, small rectangle, and pentagon symbols, any factory, are listed under the Nagoya heading. Does this mean that any rifle parts with one or more of these inspection stamps will have come from Nagoya only, or did other arsenals also use these symbols?

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,236 Posts
Nagoya Arsenal used these symbols. The "any factory" statement, I admit, is not totally clear. I probably should have said "Nagoya Arsenal and private concerns supporting production effort at Nagoya." For example, Howa and Izawa used these symbols. Info I have states that the "M" could have been used at other arsenals as an in-work inspection stamp, but I don't think I've encountered an example.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fred, Thanks, I was really hoping you would weigh in on this. My question was asked as I am trying to figure out the parentage of my latest ropehole acquisition, and the inspection symbols could perhaps be the key. The ropehole just recently sold on GB came to me, and is probably the dirtiest, rustiest rifle I've ever bought...dried mud inside the stock, light rust on the outside metal, heavier rust under the wood, and something slathered all over the stock. It was a booger to clean up, and now I could use some help in identifying what I have, as it is unlike all my other ropeholes. It has a double struck, maybe even triple struck mum, very lightly struck, somewhat irregular serial number, #91919, no arsenal mark, bolt numbered 919 across, not lengthwise. The extractor ring has very tiny m's and o's, safety and firing pin are unmarked. Ejecter has Jinsen markings, as does the trigger. Rear sight is that odd Jinsen one. Trigger guard has several tiny m's and several tiny zeros, and what looks like a weekly struck Jinsen mark,but could be the same portion of a weakly struck Nagoya symbol. Receiver has large zero near the back, on top, and smaller zero underneath near the trigger. Looks like two partially struck mini zeros on top of the barrel just where it comes into the receiver. Stock has two m's inside the barrel grove, no other markings. I should also mention that the three piece stock is very well made, and retains very good coloring, if little finish. The barrel and receiver don't match up well with the wood, lookswise, as the metal finish is very, very thin. Trigger guard, irregardless of those several symbols, has good, deeper bluing. Rope sling is definitely original. So, anyone care to venture a guess, learned or not, as to what this specimen is? I'm wishing for an heretofore unknown Jinsen ropehole.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,236 Posts
Art, can you provide some photos? I don't have a rope hole for comparison. The arsenal supply system at war's end was breaking down, so there's always the possibility a load of parts were flown over to Jinsen from Toriimatsu. At least I wouldn't readily rule that option out. There's also the possibility the rifle is a mix-master put together for collectors, but that just doesn't ring true by your description. Others are gonna have to jump in here and make a discussion of the subject. Too interesting to let slide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts