Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the forum Military Photos and the thread titled "Treasure Trove" , there are hundreds of combat pics mostly from the Russian front to savor and enjoy. There are several pics where the infantryman are taking a break and all the rifles are stacked with three comprising a stack. My question is this: when moving after break, was each man assigned a particular rifle or did they just grab the first one? Just curious. Foxman:rolleyes:

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
I can't say what they did, but when I was under similar circumstances we made sure to get our own numbered rifle.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
In the WWll German army, each soldier was issued an identification book, in addition to his picture and personal information, it listed his military qualifications and the equipment he had been issued. Items that bore a serial number, including rifle and bayonet, were listed by serial number. Long way of saying, they were responsible for and carried a particular weapon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.