Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across these three edged weapons just recently, the son of a late veteran has them up for sale as he has no interest in keeping them. I'm somewhat of a novice when it come to this type of item, so to be fair with the seller, and not offer more than their value, what ball park figure would be considered reasonable? I appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Cliff

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,024 Posts
The first piece, is a tanto, or o-tanto, in a shira saya (resting scabbard). Looks to have a rattan combat wrap. Blade looks to be of good quality, but in need of some attention. Could possibly be an old, valuable blade. With no more info to go on, around $300.00. Number two, is a wakazashi (short sword) It too, looks to be of good quality, but the blade is in need of a polish. Without seeing the tang, impossible to tell value. The handle fittings alone, are worth several hundred. Number three, is a type 19 Kyu Gunto army officer's sword. Very common. However, the family mon (crest) on the backstrap, makes it desirable. I've not seen the Pawlonia Imperialis, on a mon. It could denote use in Chosen. (Korea) Ballpark value is about $2-300.00. Unless the mon is something special.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree, without seeing pictures of the tangs and signatures if any, or the tempering of the blade in close up, i wouldn't offer more than $750 for all three at the moment. With the extra info, you might find that you've got a good buy, or at worst, broken even with a fair price.
It depends on how much you're interested in the items.

·
Silver Bullet Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, I appreciate the response, I was able to remove the handle from the tanto w/o any trouble & there are kanji stamped on the tang. I was not so lucky on the wakazashi, after removing the peg, the handle refuses to budge & I'm afraid to force it, any suggestions? I've taken more pictures of the Officer sword & close up of the mon. both pictures can be enlarged by double clicking. As soon as I can figure out how to remove the wakazashi handle I'll post pictures of it. Thanks, Cliff
. LGS Items 035.jpg LGS Items 040.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,024 Posts
First, make sure all remanants of the peg are out. In case you didn't try this... With the scabbard off, hold the sword (by the handle) in your left hand, point up. Strike your left wrist/thumb area, with your right fist, using a hammer blow. Yes, it hurts. This usually breaks the handle free from the tang. If this doesn't work, use a thin wood, or plastic tool, to pry the handle away from the guard. Try not to get behind the seppa (spacers) on either side of the guard. They will bend. Try to get between them, and the habaki, or fuchi. Be careful, and don't force anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts