Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, I started a thread about Mosin-Nagant rifles in Cuba, but something happened and it was apparently deleted. I'm basically reposting so as to hopefully bring the subject back to life. I know that Cuba had Mosin 44s in it's arsenal, namely for the local militia, but I was wondering if anyone had pics? Also, does anyone know if Castro ever shared them with any of his friends? Like for example Grenada, and if so, does anyone have any bringbacks?

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Recently, I started a thread about Mosin-Nagant rifles in Cuba, but something happened and it was apparently deleted. I'm basically reposting so as to hopefully bring the subject back to life. I know that Cuba had Mosin 44s in it's arsenal, namely for the local militia, but I was wondering if anyone had pics? Also, does anyone know if Castro ever shared them with any of his friends? Like for example Grenada, and if so, does anyone have any bringbacks?
Yes Castro did indeed send arms to other nations such as Grenada. As was mentioned in the first thread M44's and CZ52's found there did in fact come out of Cuba. Also - you mentioned that you did not feel Castro would have used arms from China or the USSR before he took power and in that you would be incorrect. Castro played all sides during his "revolt" and made use of any and all arms he could get his hands on. Also there are in fact bringbacks from Grenada - M44's and many of these have also showed up in Canada.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
I'm not by any means disagreeing with antone here. I just want to add information to the thread. My wife grew up in Havana before she emigrated to the states back in the '90s. When she was a kid in the '80s her high school had a weekly firearms class. She often describes training with "her AKM" that the school kept locked up when they weren't training. The photos she has though are all of her using a PPSH41. She said that every week they had a firearms theory and tactics class, and a couple times a year they went to a nearby rock quarry for livefire exercises. Lucky kids.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
No that is good info just as there was info on the other thread of a person who lived in Cuba trained with a Mosin. I guess it depends on time frame.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Castro did indeed send arms to other nations such as Grenada. As was mentioned in the first thread M44's and CZ52's found there did in fact come out of Cuba. Also - you mentioned that you did not feel Castro would have used arms from China or the USSR before he took power and in that you would be incorrect. Castro played all sides during his "revolt" and made use of any and all arms he could get his hands on. Also there are in fact bringbacks from Grenada - M44's and many of these have also showed up in Canada.
Did Castro send any of those Mosins or Vz. 52 to any revolutionary groups? Also, I thought that Castro during the guerilla war would have preferred Western-type weapons because of compatibility of ammunition and spare parts. Does anyone have any pics or examples of Mosin bringbacks?

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
I can not answer where all arms were sent but he was in deep with a number of the leftists in Central America. I do not have photos of the bringbacks but they have been posted here over the years.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can not answer where all arms were sent but he was in deep with a number of the leftists in Central America. I do not have photos of the bringbacks but they have been posted here over the years.

Could you tell me what you know, just out of curiosity? Also, do you know where I could see bringback pics? Like what thread and forum?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not by any means disagreeing with antone here. I just want to add information to the thread. My wife grew up in Havana before she emigrated to the states back in the '90s. When she was a kid in the '80s her high school had a weekly firearms class. She often describes training with "her AKM" that the school kept locked up when they weren't training. The photos she has though are all of her using a PPSH41. She said that every week they had a firearms theory and tactics class, and a couple times a year they went to a nearby rock quarry for livefire exercises. Lucky kids.
Could you tell me more?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have been posted here in the past - in fact a number of times.
Cool. Could you please give a couple of examples, if you don't mind? Also, the Mosin-nagant site whose link that you gave to me said that Mosins were found in Mexico and Central America. Who had them? The Zapatistas?

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,185 Posts
Please keep this thread alive! Great info! Not sure what happened to the other one.:confused:

Gary

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went to Grenada with the 3/325 AIR and all of the Mosins I saw were Polish M44's. All marked with the circle-11. They later hung one on a plaque on the wall of our battalion messhall as a trophy.

One of the hundreds of new-in-the-crate AKMS's that we captured would have looked much better, but the rumor was that those were gifted to the Muj who were then fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to Grenada with the 3/325 AIR and all of the Mosins I saw were Polish M44's. All marked with the circle-11. They later hung one on a plaque on the wall of our battalion messhall as a trophy.

One of the hundreds of new-in-the-crate AKMS's that we captured would have looked much better, but the rumor was that those were gifted to the Muj who were then fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Well, Grenada got most of it's weapons from Cuba, so those Mosins were probably from Havana. Castro apparently got Soviet, Polish and ChiCom Mosins.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My step father is Cuban grew up in Santiago De Cuba. I guess it depends on the era he had never seen a mosin untill i took him shooting my 91/30 but did say he got alot of training on a RPK.

Very interesting thread!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My step father is Cuban grew up in Santiago De Cuba. I guess it depends on the era he had never seen a mosin untill i took him shooting my 91/30 but did say he got alot of training on a RPK.

Very interesting thread!
The Mosins were probably for just the militia, or a branch of it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I was wondering why this thread vanished:confused:. Castro's guerrillas used what ever they could get their hand on, M1 Garands, 1903 Springfields, Thompsons, Fals, VZ52's, PPsh41's... I remember the milicianos talking about their 'PEPECHA's ' or PPsh 41's . One of Castro's most trusted leaders, Camilo Cienfuegos (eliminated by Castro eventually) favored the FN Fal. The Argentinian thug commonly know as Ernesto 'Che' Guevara favored the M1 Carbine. As I posted in the previous vanished thread, I ran into a couple of FN Fals while in Costa Rica in the early 80's. These Fals had the 'Republica de Cuba' coat of arms on the receiver. The farmers who owned these traded two cows to Sandinista rebels as exchange.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was wondering why this thread vanished:confused:. Castro's guerrillas used what ever they could get their hand on, M1 Garands, 1903 Springfields, Thompsons, Fals, VZ52's, PPsh41's... I remember the milicianos talking about their 'PEPECHA's ' or PPsh 41's . One of Castro's most trusted leaders, Camilo Cienfuegos (eliminated by Castro eventually) favored the FN Fal. The Argentinian thug commonly know as Ernesto 'Che' Guevara favored the M1 Carbine. As I posted in the previous vanished thread, I ran into a couple of FN Fals while in Costa Rica in the early 80's. These Fals had the 'Republica de Cuba' coat of arms on the receiver. The farmers who owned these traded two cows to Sandinista rebels as exchange.
I didn't know that Castro's guerillas had any EastBloc weaponry. Did the Cuban military still use the FAL after Castro's takeover? Also, I thought that Guevara preferred the M2 Carbine, not the M1. I doubt that the Sandinistas' superiors liked their guys just trading away their weapons. Just out of curiosity, how knowledgeable are you about Central America?

·
Silver Bullet member
998 Posts
I read in soldier of fortune that there were east german AKs found in grenada, and they were linked to cuba.

I am certain of my recollection, but don't remember any other details.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I know this is likely a total waste of time BUT, Raul Castro does appear to be trying to extend a hand to the United States these days. Perhaps one of us could write a letter asking all the questions about small arms used in post Revolution-era Cuba and send it off to the Cuban Minister of Defense (Castro). I know there is an arms museum at Moro Castle in Havana, maybe they know something. If y'all would generate a bunch of questions to ask I would write the letter up, have it translated and would be willing to drop it in the post. What questions would we ask? Please, keep it to about 5-6 questions so it has a better chance of being answered.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts