Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently seen a P17 with 1903A3 sights. The rear sight was removed, the ears were milled to obtain a flat surface and a 1903A3 backsight was installed. Also the the front sight was compleately removed and substituted with a 1903A3 one.
The work was neately made.
Was this an arsenal conversion? Has anyone a picture of this kind of rifle?

Best regards.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've recently seen a P17 with 1903A3 sights. The rear sight was removed, the ears were milled to obtain a flat surface and a 1903A3 backsight was installed. Also the the front sight was compleately removed and substituted with a 1903A3 one.
The work was neately made.
Was this an arsenal conversion? Has anyone a picture of this kind of rifle?

Best regards.
No. It most certainly was not a "arsenal conversion." Years ago, when the US Model 1917 was both cheap and plentiful, several companies as well as many gunsmiths milled the ears off from the rear sights while making hunting and custom rifles. (By the way, it's not a P17...the "P" as in "P14" represents "Pattern"...a British designation. US small arms were referred to as "Model.") ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your description could also match the model 1934(?) which were basically M1917's made for a South American country, the name of which escapes me now.Check to see if it was in 30-06 or 7mm.If it happens to be one of those,it's a rare bird and pricey.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well, if it's a 1917 it it bound to be a 30-06. I ran into a similar rifle years ago and it was simply a 1960's gunsmith modification of a 1917 so that the shooter could use improved sights for his DCM-style match shooting. There was a time when 1917's were the joy of budding gunsmiths. I have seen then converted to 22 Hornet!~Andy

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
For the longest time M1917s were almost as cheap as Remington Mosins, from the DCM and NRA, and Bannerman, too. Lots of gunsmiths cut their teeth modifying 1914s and 1917s.
Anything is possible.
Bannerman even assembled rifles from 1903 and 1917 parts cobbled together. If you think those Bannerman MN carbines in .30-06 are ugly, you should see some of the other cobbled guns he made--and sold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts