Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this Finn captured 91/30 from a member here. The manufacture date is 1939 and it is marked SA on the left side of the receiver. On the right is a 41 standing all by its lonesome. Is this by chance the year the Finns did their magic on it? Photos of the marks (and the rifle today when I was shooting it in the desert) are below.

I really like this one. It shot a literal one-hole group after spending about an hour cleaning the bore last night and again this morning. While the Finn version of Cosmoline is tough to get out, the results are sure worth it. What I thought was a kind of rough old WWII bore turned out to be actually a mirror inside. Sights were absolutely perfectly regulated and took zero adjustment for me to hit the bulls eye at 100 and when adjusted up to 200, to hit that as well. Lots of pine tar mix on it, and the previous owner kept it pristine.

Thanks again for all the help and inspiration you folks have given me.

Doby

Cylinder Auto part Metal Pipe Muffler
Pipe Material property Auto part Cylinder Muffler
Gun Air gun Grass Tree Plant

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may be the prettiest one I have so far, but I have high hopes for some others that are on the way. Its accuracy rivals my best M39, and it may even be more accurate than my B barrel M1891 - which was my most accurate Mosin until now. It doesn't have the trigger that the other two have, but it was set up right in Finland.

This is from today. There was no wind, and nobody to distract me. About the perfect day of shooting. I had the "range" to myself and it was over 60 degrees and a slight haze so I could see the bull really well.

Target archery Archery Shooting sport Recreation Circle

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Denny thanks very much for that link. It was a great read, and jarkko sure found a cool bit of information.
Kiitos!
Doby

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,581 Posts
Doby nice looker--you mean to say you had all the property to your self.☆

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doby nice looker--you mean to say you had all the property to your self.☆

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Probably 75 square miles of it. The whole Caja del Rio. Maybe 25 people in the whole expanse. I love New Mexico. Much of it is just -- empty. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get there from my house in Santa Fe, and another 5 to get to the range. It's on BLM land so it will never be developed. we have targets ranged at 25, 50, 100, 200, 220, 320, 440, 475, 550, 675, 720, 850, and 1200 meters so far. I use a range card and a primitive laminated map to keep track of them. I plan to measure one to 1500 meters and then one mile in the next few weeks. My rangefinder is only truly accurate out to 600 meters, so we do it 600 at a time, using waypoints. If I used a GPS it would be faster, but not as much fun. Plus when you walk between markers and points you get to see the terrain more. In summer that can be fun. Lol, last year I shot a 5 1/2 foot rattler in my path with an 1895 Nagant. He didn't want to leave the trail, and I didn't want to mess up my measurement by going around him. So much of the West is a true shooter's paradise, and this is no exception. We are blessed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.