Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I wouldve thought that this topic has been covered before, but my multiple searches have brought up nothing on the subject. Are there any characteristics of WW1 period sight hoods compared to post WW1? Markings? Design? And these were used during the war correct? Any information on them is most appreciated. Thanks guys, and sorry if this has already been covered.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The common sight hoods are really used for protecting the front sight. They are really too small to shoot with. If you want one for shooting try to find one that was used by the marine's it's larger and works real good for shooting but they are hard to find and not cheap.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
The common sight hoods are really used for protecting the front sight. They are really too small to shoot with. If you want one for shooting try to find one that was used by the marine's it's larger and works real good for shooting but they are hard to find and not cheap.
So true. The others will move around and mess up your shooting. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
"If you want one for shooting try to find one that was used by the marine's it's larger and works real good for shooting but they are hard to find and not cheap."

So that's what the Marines were using in Guadalcanal Diary.. :)

·
Banned
1,902 Posts
These are clearly shown as being used by Marines during the Guadalcanal campaign. I use an original on one '03 with excellent results but regardless of how many threads there are on the subject, I'll still see shooters firing with the smaller sight protectors still in place. To me at least, these protectors are a good idea but installing and removing them leaves marks on the sight base. The Marine Corps version doesn't have to be removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.