Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while, I will come across a PSL at the gun shows. From my understanding, there are 3 types of PSL here in the US.:

1. Romanian built PSL and then imported by CIA

2. U.S. built PSL using all Romanian parts including Romanian receiver

3. U.S. built PSL using some Romanian parts and a U.S. built receiver

I am interested in buying the Romanian built PSL (1).

So here is my problem. What are the characteristics I need to look for on the PSL? Are there just a couple of characteristics?

If you could explain in detail or even post some pics to further illustrate the characteristic, I would greatly appreciate it. I would hate to drop all this money and then find out later that I bought a non Romanian built PSL!

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Joe

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,774 Posts
Look for one marked PSL-54C on the right side of the receiver with a trunion on the left side sporting a serial number ending in a 1970's or early 1980's two-letter date.

You can also look for one marked SSG-97 or FPK. If marked FPK, it has to be impact dot-matrix on the side of the receiver, not engraved on the bottom just forward of the mag well.

Davis

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think that you have a wrong idea or information on PSLs . The romanian CUGIR PSLs have a lot of quality control issues and many are build kind of rough . To the contrary , the US build PSL "sporter" have a US made receiver with the rest of the rifle being Romanian including a factory threaded muzzled, chromed romanian barrel with bayo lug and front sight with spring loaded detent pin ... except for the trigger system , which is also a US made Tapco G2 and a much better trigger system than the ones from its romanian cousins. The shepperd hook is a plate very easy to insert without touching the trigger system . Those receivers are very well made and finished and function perfectly ... they are very tight , since they are BRAND NEW . I can attest to it because my PSL is one of those Sporters. Never had a problem and worked perfectly from day one. BTW, I installed a buffer from day one (extra protection is always good) and it shoots perfect , buffer and all .
If I decide to buy another PSL in the future, I would look for another Sporter , not a romanian build , but it is your choice .

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
My Romanian build works great, but everyone will had a different experience. Bad guns of all varieties do exist, so keep that in mind.

The easiest way to tell an all original Romanian gun from the rest, is the serial numbers. A Romanian build will have numbers on all the major parts that match each other, and the trunnion. The receiver will also have the Cugir marks. If this isn't the case, the gun isn't factory original...

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,774 Posts
My Romanians have all been great, but I haven't had any that were built within the last 5 years. My post "3-hole" fiasco replacement is great, and my first Romak was stellar as well. My Tennessee Guns Romanian import was also a good rifle, though the triggers in my other two are better.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
My Romanian build works great, but everyone will had a different experience. Bad guns of all varieties do exist, so keep that in mind.
+1 on the above. As far as I can tell my PSL is all Romanian parts assembled in the US, the receiver is Romanian, imported by TN Guns, and assembled from Romanian parts kits by ECP&W in Monroe NC, then sold by Centerfire Systems, an interesting pedigree to say the least!! Aside from some early issues with the scope rail which I remedied on my own, the gun runs like a champ and has from day one, it's also very accurate. The overall quality and reliability of many PSL's seems to be somewhat hit or miss, the good news is most of the issues can be resovled fairly easily, and there is a good knowledge base here at Gunboards and elsewhere on the net for new owners to take advantage of.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have owned 8, in total. My early TN Guns import (Romanian-built) was my fave, because it was "pre-year marking". ALL worked flawlessly, after a 2-300 round break-in period. In relation to the letter made/imported rifles, I have heard mixed reviews, tho I cannot say that I have ever seen the dramatic issues that have been posted. I also had a "3-hole" that was returned.

Major issues to look for include:
1) Canted sights. Simply look to see that the sights bodies are aligned along the top of the barrel/reciever with no visible canting to the side.

2) Improper scope rail mounting/dimensions. Test by properly adjusting and installing a scope, then zero the rifle properly. Easiest method? Set the scope to "2", then align it with the sight set at the lowest setting and test fire at 25 meters. Adjust from thereso that the scope and impact are coincided at 25 meters. You now have a properly battle-sighted scope/rifle. Fine tune for longer ranges.

3) Trunnion (or other) rivets not properly set. Inspect before you buy.

I have inspected/zeroed, test-fired approx.100 rifles during my time as the local gunshop milsurp dude. I have never seen the majority of issues listed on here (and there are others, I just can't remember them all). Magazine fit and function is "supposedly" an issue. I can't attest to that as I had NO problems. Clean them properly, and break them in, and they are pretty tough and flawless. Have fun. I really missed mine "at work" this Spring. My 7.62x39 AR doesn't have nearly the knock-down power (at long range) that I had come to take for granted. Oh well, at least I accomplished my mission and the paycheck is in the mail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.